Cadillac "Blue" engine paint ('70s) 425
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By the APEMAN
  • 1 Post By man1ey
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Cadillac "Blue" engine paint ('70s) 425 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What's the engine paint (spray can) of choice for a '70s 425? I want to do some touching up on ...
    Highway Star is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1979 Coupe Deville

Cadillac "Blue" engine paint ('70s) 425

What's the engine paint (spray can) of choice for a '70s 425? I want to do some touching up on my engine while the A/C stuff is out of the way. It's that GM/Caddy blue color.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Cadillac "Blue" engine paint ('70s) 425

That color is very hard to match. For one thing the color you see on the engine (original) seems to fade or discolor over time. Most aftermarket paint pigments will not match, absolutely. I believe the main reason for this to be the fact that the paint fade over time. We don't polish our engines, do we? The paint loses that original gloss. I have tried mixing paints, trying to match what I consider to be the color I sense is correct. I tried mixing a flat and a gloss and mixing with semi-gloss. I've come close, but not quite correct. I'm not good with paint, hate painting. From my experience, it comes down to what you will settle with. There is a Ford blue, I tried, which came very close. There was also a run of Chrysler blue which was very close, but Krylon made a change and later cans of their paint did not come close. I made notes on this while the project was going on. Will have to see if I can find them. I had tried this with several different brands, color range, and types.

Thanks deville. I had a can of Plasti-Kote "GM Corporate Blue No. 221" that was pretty close. Found my original can, but it's empty (typical of my paint stash, lol). Haven't seen any of it lately though, and don't see any on ebay. There seemed to be more brand options years ago, but now every auto parts place has the exact same paints/displays.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Most auto parts still carry GM Corporate Blue.

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

Quote Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
    Most auto parts still carry GM Corporate Blue.

Those two pumps have a lot of little differences.

I remember someone being burned by a pump that would not clear the crank pulley. Not had that pleasure myself.
    man1ey likes this.

Couldn't find any "GM Corporate Blue", but found VHT "GM Blue" and "Old Ford Blue" engine enamels. The OFB was a little too bluish (looks like '50s Caddy engine blue though), while the GM was a good match.

Here's a shot of my 425 engine that I tweaked with the VHT "GM blue" mentioned above. Painting with all these hoses/wires etc in the way is a real pita, lol.
    Attached Images

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Nice work! I was tempted to do everything when I was doing my water pump, but short of pulling the motor, I couldn't see it happening. It's so buried, you can't even tell...

the APEMAN is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1980 FBC

8/6/4 under there : )

man1ey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by the APEMAN View Post
    Those two pumps have a lot of little differences.

I remember someone being burned by a pump that would not clear the crank pulley. Not had that pleasure myself.
    YUP! Man that was a pisser.

----------

Just in case you were crazy and wanted to have a quart mixed, here's what I sprayed on my rebuild last year. Put hours of research into finding this color in an old paint book and pretty sure it's correct. Looks right, anyway.

Centari DuPont BS454 1 qt.
    the APEMAN likes this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.