Timing Issue 472 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Timing Issue 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hmmm. I jumped the gun and purchased a used HEI from a 472 for $41 including shipping on ebay. I'm ...
    Nrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Timing Issue 472

Hmmm. I jumped the gun and purchased a used HEI from a 472 for $41 including shipping on ebay. I'm finding out that I'm going to need to replace a number of other parts too. And do a minor rewire. I'm wondering, now, if any of these kits you guys are talking about come with the coil and other things like possibly the wires and cap and rotor that need to be changed for the HEI conversion?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

The HEI distributor is coil-in-cap so if you got a complete one that should be about all you need. You must've gotten it from a 74... The wires will be seperate no matter what distributor you get. The cap, rotor, coil, and ignition control module are all cheap parts-store items and if you end up buying them all seperately you'll still pay less than one of the reman distributors.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Proform makes an HEI tuneup or rebuild, whatever you wanna call it kit for like $80. Comes with ICM, rotor, cap, coil, weights, and springs.

74eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    The HEI distributor is coil-in-cap so if you got a complete one that should be about all you need. You must've gotten it from a 74... The wires will be seperate no matter what distributor you get. The cap, rotor, coil, and ignition control module are all cheap parts-store items and if you end up buying them all seperately you'll still pay less than one of the reman distributors.
    Ok, i have a 74 eldo with a 500 cid and have yet to tear it apart.... It does have the stand alone coil so does that mean this particular model has points in the distributor?

I'm thinking yes but want to be sure because i will upgrade to hei.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

Make sure to bypass the resistor wire too, the HEI wants a full 12v+

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by 74eldog
    Ok, i have a 74 eldo with a 500 cid and have yet to tear it apart.... It does have the stand alone coil so does that mean this particular model has points in the distributor?

I'm thinking yes but want to be sure because i will upgrade to hei.

That's about what a HEI distributor looks like. If yours is significantly different (sounds like yours is,) upgrade.

74eldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 74 Eldorado

thanks, i looked at it last night, it doesn't have the coil in the cap....

I'm going junkyard huntin this weekend for some other stuff and maybe I can run up on one......

Any, makes and model will work with the 74 caddy....500 engine

Nrets is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hey, just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice on changing to HEI. I ended up getting that 41 dollar used distributor on ebay and it basically was ready to drop in. It came with the cap and rotor and coil and everything else. I put it in and it ran rough. Then I played with it and it ran . That was some beuatiful stuff. I currently have left the car behind in SOcal as it has column wiring issues that caused 2 starters to get stuck on, decapitating the bendix housing in the first one and literally cracking the other starter in two. I have given up on the car in the time being..but as for switing to HEI, it definitely is a thing to do. The car ran at least as smooth (with used parts) and it was nice knowing the points wouldn't go out of whck every 3 oil changes or so.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.