Cadillac Owners Forum banner
40K views 104 replies 17 participants last post by  rdohm 
#1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a '75 Caddy 500 and I am looking for a good way to put an updated FI system on it. Is there a good company that does it or if a company makes an updaed manifold to fit new injectors....Please Help

Thank you in Advance

Check out My Project:
http://www.1953buick.com

#77 ·
So you are saying that I'm immature because I want to "customize" my car and not leave it stock... ROFL you crack me up....
You like it stock, I like it custom... Lets leave it at that, neither one of us is gonna win, we just have different interests.
I am going to leave the body stock, maybe you can help me in that department? I know very little about bodywork. One thing I'm going to be very particular about is the huge piece of real estate covered with vinyl. What would be the best cleaner/protectant for that?

Oops, getting off the topic at hand...

#78 ·
Chrome said:
So you are saying that I'm immature because I want to "customize" my car and not leave it stock... ROFL you crack me up....
You like it stock, I like it custom... Lets leave it at that, neither one of us is gonna win, we just have different interests.
I am going to leave the body stock, maybe you can help me in that department? I know very little about bodywork. One thing I'm going to be very particular about is the huge piece of real estate covered with vinyl. What would be the best cleaner/protectant for that?

Oops, getting off the topic at hand...
Maybe i should have been more clear when i said...

there is none of this talk there, its a much more mature member body...

I meant there is no flaming like this, i made an opinion and was returned with fire.

#80 ·
JTraik said:
Maybe i should have been more clear when i said...

there is none of this talk there, its a much more mature member body...

I meant there is no flaming like this, i made an opinion and was returned with fire.
Then why don't you go back to your "mature member body"?
No flaming? You started the flaming! Do you recall typing "5000 lb rust buckets" , and "real car shows" Hmmm... I've seen a hell of a lot more "Custom" car shows than the boring shows you are talking about. who the hell wants to see a car that looks like it just rolled out of the factory? BORING...
But you're nothing but a troll, and we seem to be feeding you quite well.
You come into a thread discussing more power, obviously not going to remain stock, and tout your totally stock boring f*cking car shows. Who the f*ck cares?
So why don't you just take your "mature" a$$ back to the forums that agree with you and leave us poor immature folks to our own devices, it seems everyone was doing just fine without your input to begin with.

#81 ·
So what happened to the "Fuel Injected 500" thread?

Come on guys. Everyone has different opinions. Everyone likes their car a different way, thinks different things about it, yadda yadda yadda. JTraik wants a mint Caddy to win mint Caddy shows. Others such as myself want a custom Caddy to have fun with and please themselves with and feed their hobby. Nothing wrong with either of the two.

#82 ·
:brutal: :brutal: :brutal:
Chrome said:
Then why don't you go back to your "mature member body"?
No flaming? You started the flaming! Do you recall typing "5000 lb rust buckets" , and "real car shows" Hmmm... I've seen a hell of a lot more "Custom" car shows than the boring shows you are talking about. who the hell wants to see a car that looks like it just rolled out of the factory? BORING...
But you're nothing but a troll, and we seem to be feeding you quite well.
You come into a thread discussing more power, obviously not going to remain stock, and tout your totally stock boring f*cking car shows. Who the f*ck cares?
So why don't you just take your "mature" a$$ back to the forums that agree with you and leave us poor immature folks to our own devices, it seems everyone was doing just fine without your input to begin with.
LOL...you two are pretty amusing. You must really have rust buckets being so defensive and all, that wasnt a direct comment but more of a cliche that i observe going to shows and even on the streets..... chrome are you really 41? :hmm:

Chrome said:
who the hell wants to see a car that looks like it just rolled out of the factory? BORING...
Well it took me my whole life... but i found a few.

When you get a chance look at all the classic cars on ebay and tell me the ones that go for the most, modified or showroom? And then you may say "well uhh that doesnt count your retarded ill never sell my car so price doesnt matter blah blah blah..." Hmm ok well my boring ass stock cadillac...really boring... has more value than most of the paritally modified cars out there... please note i said partially, that does not include full out crazy cool modification like this buick project. Chrome im just trying to prove to you that im right... authenticity quite frequently wins the day.

You heard it from me... the 18 yr old fool... im done posting on this topic :)

#83 ·
terrible one said:
So what happened to the "Fuel Injected 500" thread?

Come on guys. Everyone has different opinions. Everyone likes their car a different way, thinks different things about it, yadda yadda yadda. JTraik wants a mint Caddy to win mint Caddy shows. Others such as myself want a custom Caddy to have fun with and please themselves with and feed their hobby. Nothing wrong with either of the two.
Thank you your the only person to reply to me with any sense and understanding.

#87 ·
Look, there are factory built winners, and losers; a bone stock, perfect numbers matching 1969 SS Camaro? Yeah, that's NOT a car to alter obviously. HOWEVER, the restoration did include polygraphite bushings - so was the restoration a waste since he didn't use poopy stock rubber? They sure didn’t have Energy Suspension transmission mounts in 1969.

Topic Related: Which motors did the stock multi-port manifolds come on?

#91 ·
472 said:
Look, there are factory built winners, and losers; a bone stock, perfect numbers matching 1969 SS Camaro? Yeah, that's NOT a car to alter obviously. HOWEVER, the restoration did include polygraphite bushings - so was the restoration a waste since he didn't use poopy stock rubber? They sure didn’t have Energy Suspension transmission mounts in 1969.

Topic Related: Which motors did the stock multi-port manifolds come on?
Your absolutley right about the bushings, i noticed as well as the colored calipers and brake lines. The rough coat on some of the suspension pieces seemed to be a little out of th ordinary too. Nonetheless that is a beautiful factory spec restoration and he is being handsomely rewarded for his work.

#93 · (Edited)
Well my injected engine is being disassembled and I was wondering what cc my heads would be for a 472 out of 74 Deville. I would like to have the 120cc, because I have been asked if I considered putting turbos on it with about 5-8 psi of boost. I would like to have as much volume as possilbe and if I want to do this I need to know what the swapability is. :cookoo:

I know it has been covered in the forum... And when I searched I could seem to find.:banghead:

I look forward to the comments on this and why I should or shouldn't.

Drew

PS... FOUND INFO
lux hauler said:
The "5200" block was used for both the 472 and 500.

Check out the link below. That should tell you what you need to know.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9364/guide/Engineid.html

#95 ·
I've posted about my EFI before. I'm using a late block, early heads with 2.19-1.84 valves and some pocket porting, Edelbrock performer with holley injector bungs welded in the ports with 39 lb. injectors, aftermarket ford truck throttle body (twin 65MM) mild comp cam camshaft. I use a Megasquirt V2. controller. Works great. This is in a 53 Stude, weighs 3300 lbs. Runs 11.80s shifting at 45-4600. Could be a lot faster if I spun it tighter, just trying to see how long the stock bottom end will take the 12.5/1 compression ratio. Lots of fun.

#96 ·
Hey guys...tec question here about the '76 500 FI. Got a bad coolant temp sensor...no resistance at all. Can't find a good replacement with that gm pigtail and all. Wondering about using a later model unit with same threads, probe length, same resistance and splicing in the 2 wire connection. Found some specs noting the unit should ohm out at about 1000 to 1100 at 80 deg or so. Is this feasible or are the limits on the oem sensors too critical? Gotta do something...gotta bad rough idle that I can't narrow down. Thanks...Mike

#97 ·
I know that this thread is fairly old, but there seems to be some good info here andit applies to what I am thinking.

In my case I have the Caddy 500ci mounted in my 1949 F1 Ford truck. Woohooo!! its a lot of fun. I have been toying with the idea fuel injection. I was able to score a complete original fuel injected intake manifold, fuel rails, throttle body, regulator, etc from a local wrecking yard (I got the whole set up for about $65).

I worked on these systems at the local Caddy dealership back in the 80's. From what I remember the electronics were fairly primitive and danged expensive. My thoughts are to tray and adapt lote model electronics to the hard parts. I was thinking maybe the ecm from the late 80's early 90's port injected Camaros or something like that.
If I remember right the Caddy system just fires the injectors in 2 groups of 4 anyway and not as a true sequential system. I think that as long as the injector drivers in the ecm were compatible with the early injectors it might not be too bad.

Any thoughts? How about you guys that have gone with the megasquirt controllers, any feedback??

Thanks for any info
Bobby

#98 ·
The stock injectors are low ohm... so if you want to run it with a newer ECM, made for high ohm, you will need a add on driver box for the low ohm's....you could make a Megasquirt system or get a aftermarket system... If you want to control the timing, get a 1981 368 F/I distrubtor... you could go the eazy way and get a older used computer that only controls the fuel... like a haltech off ebay....

#99 ·
Thanks for the reply. I sent you a PM as well.

Do you know if the old original injector bungs are the same size as late model injectors? If so then it might be easier to replace the injectors with the later high ohm style.

I don't know anything about haltech, I'll do some looking into it. I've seen the megasquirt stuff and it looks impressive. Right now I'm just having a hard time forking out $1000, heck, right now I don't think I have that much in my whole truck project....lol

Could the ignition module for the 368 be installed in the 472/500 HEI dizzy?

Thanks again
Bobby

#100 ·
I am new to this group, I apologize if I break any rules. :) I am a new owner of my grandfathers 75 Eldorado convertible. I have a rod knock unfortunately. Just started this spring with no warning. I found a used 73' 500cid with the 76cc heads and soap dish pistons out of a 73' DeVille. My question is everything should bolt right on from my 75' to the 73' block, correct? I was considering a Fuel Injection conversion, but thats more than I want to spend this year. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.