68 Coupe convert drum brake to disc
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 68 Coupe convert drum brake to disc in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I need some guidance please. My 68 Coupe has all 4 drum brakes, they work well no issues. I've been ...
    LoneWolf 68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 & 1999 Coupe DeVille

68 Coupe convert drum brake to disc

I need some guidance please. My 68 Coupe has all 4 drum brakes, they work well no issues. I've been thinking about having the front changed over to disc. My question is do I need to, should I, is there a need to spend the money? I understand that the disc offers much better technology/stopping power & obviously if I had a boatload of money I wouldn't care about doing it. I personally just feel that this big beast of a car would feel safer with the front brakes being disc.....especially if I had to stop in an emergency.

I drive my Coupe a couple times a week, no where far & I do plan and hope on keeping it for a long time. So I need to know your advice should I spend the money?

Today I went to 3 different places the 1st Midas gave me estimate for $2500 parts/labor. The 2nd just basically tried talking me out of it and told me there was no need but if I wanted to do it then I would have to buy the kit and they would install it for me $94 an hour for labor. Then the 3rd ABS Power Brakes was $1800 parts/labor or the kit for $950, they highly stressed the benefits of converting the front to disc.

I'm just a bit confused on where to put my $$$. I also one day would like to get better tires/rims & a cool exhaust/header system......so what direction should I take. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: 68 Coupe convert drum brake to disc

I think front disk brakes were an option in '68. They were available for performance vehicles. I am pretty sure the spindles from later year Cadillacs would interchange to your control arms.

rodnok01 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance

Yes disc were an option that year and I bet you find other years interchange and can be had for a lot less than aftermarket. Spindles really what you need is the expensive part, everything else you can get new.

BRUCE ROE is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf 68
    I need some guidance please. My 68 Coupe has all 4 drum brakes, they work well no issues. I've been thinking about having the front changed over to disc. My question is do I need to, should I, is there a need to spend the money? I understand that the disc offers much better technology/stopping power & obviously if I had a boatload of money I wouldn't care about doing it. I personally just feel that this big beast of a car would feel safer with the front brakes being disc.....especially if I had to stop in an emergency.
    I used to have a 62 with very adequate drum brakes. EXCEPT
    when it was wet. One day I had to drive thru a huge puddle to get on a ramp, wetting
    down my drums on one side. THEN i had to slam on the brakes (due to unfriendly traffic)
    and the brakes threw me into the median. Fortunately no damage, but I got to dragging
    the brakes in the rain, etc, so I would know what they would do. Maybe you never drive
    in the rain. I also had a big 64, and honestly I did not trust those brakes to work well
    enough for an emergency.

I wouldn't convert to an early optional disc brake setup. Rather, go to a stock system
    that was standard several years later. Probably work better, certainly cheaper.

Bruce Roe

man1ey is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

LoneWolf, I've had both. I used to have a 68 convert with factory discs in the front, and now I have one with four drums. During everyday driving, you know it's no big deal. Stopping is fine if you don't tailgate. But our cops don't take kindly to entering the intersection after the light is yellow (complete BS, but that's another story) so I occasionally find myself going 55 and having to panic stop so I don't enter a yellow light. It's not pretty. As you know, you never know which way the car is going to dive, and if the brakes are hot already, you really have to work them. The discs weren't like that.

My wife won't drive the car for only one reason. She says it's hard to stop. It's not - it has power brakes and they're squishy - but that's how she describes it. I want her to enjoy the car sometimes too.

For those two reasons, I'm probably going to do discs within a year. I have the same concerns. Should I hunt down 68 or later parts? Or should I go with a kit? I'm leaning towards the kit. My biggest concern is that I'll be locked into the the vendor when I need new discs or pads. I would prefer something that I can pick up at a local store for a reasonable price. My second concern is getting a quality kit. I like the smaller one offered by USA Parts Supply ($899 I think). I would do the install myself.

As for headers, I decided against them and cleaned up my factory manifolds. I already have dual exhaust. Sounds great but constantly tweaking the left side because there just wasn't a lot of clearance to fit one. In the summer it bangs in one place. In the winter it bangs in another. I know exhaust is supposed to be the biggest bang for your buck power-wise, but I see the biggest changes when I play with the carb and timing. I don't feel like exhaust will buy me much unless I flow the heads.

No advice from me on wheels. I'm generally an all-original guy and prefer factory wheels. The exhaust and electronic ignition are my only major deviations from factory.

----------

Please post whatever you do, if you do it. I'd like to hear how it goes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.