1972 Caddy 425 Powertrain
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1972 Caddy 425 Powertrain in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; What I have is a 1972 7.0l 425, in pieces. Block, heads, intake, exhaust, tranny, cam, crank, pistons, rods, valves, ...
    crazycoyote is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation 1972 Caddy 425 Powertrain

What I have is a 1972 7.0l 425, in pieces. Block, heads, intake, exhaust, tranny, cam, crank, pistons, rods, valves, all that goody internal makeup. What I need is information:

Spec sheet for measurements, (i.e. bore/stroke, clearances, journal measurements, etc.) for the innards.

REASONABLE place to order gasket kits, pistons, rods, rings, performance cam and crank, performance heads, etc.

Any tidbits of wisdom concerning hotrodding a 425, past experiences, suggestions for setups, and output ratios/performance specs.

For the record, the engine/trans came from an old '72 El Dorado, some kid thought it would be fun to rebuild it, and didn't know what he was doing with it. Nothing is labeled as far as journals go, and nothing is separated. I got the block, dip treated, the heads, dip treated and crated, the intake, the tranny (auto), and probably all the other nuts, bolts, and guts to go with it for about $50. I plan on making it performance, IF I can figure everything out, and putting it into what I have available for the time being, a 1974 Dodge Dart Custom. Please, don't laugh.

Any suggestions/pointers/information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

=-_+_-=

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadder2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1982 fleetwood w/ 500cid, 1990 Brougham 'D Elegance 5.7

Re: 1972 Caddy 425 Powertrain

Are you sure the engine is a 425? They didn't come out until 1977. Maybe you have a 500?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

If it's indeed a 72 Eldo motor it is a 500. Which is much cooler than a 425. Anyway, there's a pretty decent aftermarket for these motors. For parts vendors' websites and contact info, look at http://www.cadillacowners.com and click "vendors" on the left side navigation bar.

As for suggestions of what to do to it... how much are you looking to spend, and how much power are you looking to make?

For rebuild specs you'll have to consult a manual.

Quote Originally Posted by cadder2000
    Are you sure the engine is a 425? They didn't come out until 1977. Maybe you have a 500?
    If I found a Vin# on the block, could you tell me what I've got? Like I said, the kid didn't know what he was doing.

I went out to the barn, and found what I think could be a vin number, somewhere up around where the water pump and timing chain cover would be, I think. Maybe I'm wrong, but the number I found was 670231240. It was stamped. The other number I found was cast: 1699110 or something like that. To the right of the stamped number.

It could be a 425 from '77, like I said, this kid didn't know. Lemme know something.

=-_+_-=

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/P.../Engineid.html

Your best bet is to read through that and see what you can figure out.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Yeah, the crank should be an easy way to tell which one you've got. Lets hope for the 500!

I shoulda looked at it last night when I was out there. I go to school by day, so I don't get home until night; HOWEVER, I will look as soon as I get home, and tell you what crank I have atleast.

Okay.

WISH ME LUCK.

=-_+_-=

Good Luck.

Thinking of a word, four letters, rhymes with "luck"... denotes a negative connotation at this point.

The crank is, without a doubt, a 425 crank. So, it is a 425. And, I went to check the thing, and (it has been in my barn for a little over a year) it is all covered in rust. Surface rust at that, but still, rust. Aggravating.

So, it's a 425. Go from there. What should I do? Where should I look? Any past experience building them? Cool ideas? What NOT to do?

I'm thinking my pricerange will be in the neighborhood of $2500-3000 for rebuilding the engine. Gotta save some for the car. Centrifugal Supercharger? Twin Turbo? Spray? 12:1/13:1? Ideas!

(The $2000-3000 figure includes a necessary line-bore.)

=-_+_-=

Quote Originally Posted by crazycoyote

The crank is, without a doubt, a 425 crank. So, it is a 425.
    I went to the local caddy dealership, and had them look up my numbers as a 425, years '77 and onward. Would you believe that they can't find either number in any of their massive books? Amazing, isn't it?

670231240 is stamped, near where I'm going to say the Bell Housing would go, and to the right is (what I think is) 1699110, cast on the block.

At this point, I just want to get a positive ID on the block. That'd be a good place to start.

=-_+_-=

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

If you have all the work done and buy all new parts, your budget will be eaten up with just the rebuild.

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    If you have all the work done and buy all new parts, your budget will be eaten up with just the rebuild.
    I will be doing all the assembly. I am trying to steer clear of as many "new" parts as possible. I know from website quotes that a basic rebuild kit for a 425 will run me $825.

I did figure this much out: I've got a 425 crank, according to the flange. I've got a 425 block, according to the bore (4.082"). I measured it myself with a telescoping gauge and a micrometer, just about 25 minutes ago. I'm going to stay with that I have a 425, and that's where I need to start to re-build.

Picked up a Chilton's and got torque specs for it, and all other wonderful things, but no clearances/measurements. Maybe my shop professor's knick-knack of books will have that info. I'll be keeping a website of information regarding the modifications done to the engine, and any progress I'll make.

I'll post later on when I get that much set up.

For now, I'm loading up the block and two pistons, and taking that to the campus, so we can research it further. At this point, any ideas would be appreciated, or parts sources.

Thanks for all your help thus far!

=-_+_-=

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.