Anyone put a 472/500 in a GM G body?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Anyone put a 472/500 in a GM G body? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I know JWalker has done it, but I haven't been able to contact him. I have a '79 Malibu with ...
    hybrid2nr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Anyone put a 472/500 in a GM G body?

I know JWalker has done it, but I haven't been able to contact him. I have a '79 Malibu with the stock 165 hp 350 (LM1 maybe?), the mighty Metric 200 trans, and a 2.29 pegleg with the factory F41 handling package. I like the car and the suspension, but I have several 472/500s laying around with TH400 and 700R4 trannies aching to go in, not to mention a couple of spreadbore nitrous setups gathering dust. I'm also interested in a Ford 9", bare housing setup for this car is fine. I'm aware of several vendors selling stuff for these kinds of swaps, but want to hear from folks that have actually done this to get some feedback on what worked well and what didn't. Btw, I do autocross this car and prefer the sleeper approach very much.

Experienced input will be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JWalker is offline Cadillac Owners Member

jwalker here

Quote Originally Posted by hybrid2nr
    I know JWalker has done it, but I haven't been able to contact him. I have a '79 Malibu with the stock 165 hp 350 (LM1 maybe?), the mighty Metric 200 trans, and a 2.29 pegleg with the factory F41 handling package. I like the car and the suspension, but I have several 472/500s laying around with TH400 and 700R4 trannies aching to go in, not to mention a couple of spreadbore nitrous setups gathering dust. I'm also interested in a Ford 9", bare housing setup for this car is fine. I'm aware of several vendors selling stuff for these kinds of swaps, but want to hear from folks that have actually done this to get some feedback on what worked well and what didn't. Btw, I do autocross this car and prefer the sleeper approach very much.

Experienced input will be much appreciated.
    as far as mounts go
    the eldorado mounts work ok with a 1/2 inch plate welded to the crossmember
    I did a regal with the 77-79 425 mounts and chevy isolators
    i built transmission crossmembers for both those cars using a 2 inch drop deal that i fabricated here
    the crossmember from crossmembers.com seems to work ok ive seen that one used
    my 9 inch ford is a moser housing that i added a backbrace to
    that is the only way (cheapest) that i would go
    new housing built in a jig.....you know its right
    high end would be using a Alston fabbed unit....big bucks but worth it and if i had it to do again i would have gone that route
    dont use anything but a th400 unless your planning on using a art carr 200r or something similar or it will turn junk real fast
    headers have to be fabricated
    flanges avaliable
    cant think of muc else ,its a good swap
    mine was done a little different as i cut apart a set of eldo mounts and im only using the part that bolts to the engine
    that is welded to some tubing that will be welded to my r&p crossmember once i get time to fabricate that thing
    my rear mount will be a 3 inch drop to clear my 3.5 inch exhaust
    any other questions you have ...let em rip if i missed anything im kinda tired been porting my butt off and am ready to pass out
    laterz...hope i helped ya out some

Deep Sleep is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Anyone put a 472/500 in a GM G body?

I was looking at the SWK05 kit from MTS to drop a 500 in my 83 Malibu Wagon. At 300.00 for the mounts, double hump crossmember, Trans mount, it seems like a good deal. I'll let you know how it turns out.
    BTW, Welcome to the board 'sleepere'. How did you know I was going the caddy route??

To JWalker:
    What year Eldo mounts did you use? One style I saw had a horseshoe deal with a single mount underneath and 2 at the trans, most of the rest had 1 on each block ear in the front with a single mount in the rear. Thank you very much for the info. Will contact you as I collect more parts. Do the Sanderson rear exit 600 headers fit the G by any chance?

To Sledgehammer:
    Small world, John! I also want to put a Cad in my '84 BMW 533i btw. Not sure I'll SSC it but it'll definitely be a street sleeper.

the mounts i used were from a 70-76 eldo i think....been a while
    plates are easy to fab as you only have to drill the one hole for the bolt and the other for the little lug that sticks out
    mts's mount works ok
    the sandersons dont work at all are are way too much money for what you get even for what they do fit
    your more than welcome to contact me anytime
    thanks JW

Were you using the Sanderson 500 block hugger style or the rear exit 600 style?

I dont use the sanderson headers at all
    too much money and poor quality
    just IMO

Thanks very much for the info.

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm doing a 425CI into a '77 Caprice. I had a Ford 9 inch made by Currie's with 3.25 gears made up for me and I'm going to try to run the TH350 and see if any problems arise. One thing I didn't see mentioned was the driveshaft. I had a 3" shaft made up for me instead of using the stock 2 3/4" the car came with.

weedahoe is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does any one have any pics of how the fabricated the 1/2" steel plates to the x-member for the engine mounts? I am wanting to put a 500 Cad in my 70 Cutlass S and need to visual help. Anyone who has any kind of pics can send them to weedahoe@bellsouth.net.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.