Second Battery?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Second Battery? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Has anyone tried hooking a battery isolator to the stock generator of a 69 472 to charge a second battery ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Second Battery?

Has anyone tried hooking a battery isolator to the stock generator of a 69 472 to charge a second battery for lighting and stereo while sitting? Thinking about doing this in the hearse. Can I locate the battery "in" the car under the storage space in the back of the hearse or do I have to worry about ventilation of battery fumes? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

zbgsaa is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Second Battery?

just get a drycell battery so u dont have fumes to worry about

Being that this is a generator/voltage regulator set up will that make a difference? Will the voltage regulator work properply?

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

The old mechanical regulator? Yech. Might I suggest considering a newer 10 or 12SI alt? MUCH more efficient, easier to replace/find parts for, and you get to eliminate a bunch of wires from under the hood, if you opt to do so.

Yeah everythin there is still stock. Generator with the seperate regulator mounter to the passenger side wheel well. Dave sounds interesting can you elaborate on wire reduction and where to find this alt.? I was thinking even a dual output alt. and just run one output to each battery. Any ideas on where to find one. Either that or a battery isolator. Thanks.

Just about anywhere has the alt in stock. A 10SI 63 amp alternator that would work well on your car has AC-Delco P/N: 321-43 Or, if you go the parts counter route, get one for a '77 Pontiac Grand Prix, 350 VIN R engine, with Air COnditioning, and Heated back light (rear defogger). The alt has three wires, one to the battery, one runs to the old mechanical regulator harness (controls the idiot light) and one is the remote sensing wire. Neat feature, but for simplicity, you can connect it right to the batt lug. The good part about these alternators is availability. almost every aftermarket "street rod" alternator is based off the same design. That means, if so inclined, one can buy one in a pretty chrome case.

As far as the isolator, if I understand correctly, there nothing more than a big diode? Not sure what an isolator would run, but it should be pretty easy to come up with a way to disconnect one of the batteries automatically when the ignition is off. (wonder what the duty cycle of those ford starter solenoids is... could get one of those for next to nothing...)

So then get rid of the regulator all together? Just still plug in the harness for the idiot light? I have not looked at it yet. Is there a connector I'll need in order to plug in the old harness?

Colt D is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Sasquatch, Dave Smed helped me out with a similar issue on my '68. Here's the link with pictures. 68 Cad Wiring Problems

turaboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1974 Fleetwood 6-Door Limo, 1970 Coupe Deville

Take a look @ M.A.D Electrical...there are some awesome pages on old GM alternators (with wiring diagrams). The site also includes a really thorough discussion on how the old voltage regulators work, and the best placement for that voltage sense wire.

It won't help much with the 2 battery question, but it will make the existing system a lot more easy to understand!

All you need is one wire out of the regulator harness with the new alternator. if you just want to keep the stock plug, you can use a plain male quick connect, like the kind used on the BATT terminal on a GM HEI.

Excellent link! MAD electrical is a great place for information.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmed
    A 10SI 63 amp alternator that would work well on your car has AC-Delco P/N: 321-43 Or, if you go the parts counter route, get one for a '77 Pontiac Grand Prix, 350 VIN R engine, with Air COnditioning, and Heated back light (rear defogger).
    Dave, I'm going to go with the Alt. upgrade you suggested along with the MAD Electrical wiring kit. Will the alt. you suggested line up with the exsiting brackets on my 472? What parts distributor would carry the Delco P/N 321-43? Napa or Advanced? I would like to pick it up locally if possible to save on shipping. Also if I can't find it under that part number locally then ask for an alt. for the car you described above and it will work with my stock mounting brackets? Thanks alot and it's Saturday so I'm going to make some calls for availability but thought I would ask.

In reading about the Delco alt.'s on the MAD electrical sight they describe different "clock" locations for the wiring plug on the alt. I'll have to check and see which will work best for me. Also I discovered a battery isolator that will bolt to the Delco alt. I've included pictures and a description. Is the 1/4 inch post for mounting the isolator they describe the one in the picture of the alt. with the red plastic ring around it? Not sure I'm going with this particular isolator or not. Although it seems it would fit the bill nicely as long as there are no clearance issues. Here's the pics and info. Although in reading the info I do not see where it "isolates" the secondary battery during ignition off periods. I think it may be just for charging two batteries. Let me know what you guys think.

The DC-270 is designed to facilitate the installation of an additional battery on any boat or recreational vehicle to ensure that the engine will start after spending extended periods of time anchoring, trolling or camping.

The DC-270 will work on any 12 volt DC-negative ground electrical system with alternators of up to 70 Amps output. It is specifically not recommended for use with higher output alternators. The DC-270 will mount directly on the alternator output or 'battery' post on alternators with a 1/4" or smaller diameter post. This mounting system fits Delco, Mando, Motorola, Prestolite and many other marine and automotive alternators. In addition, the DC-270 may be flat mounted for applications where insufficient clearance is available, or for use on systems without alternators, such as outboard motors.

DC-270

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Your Voltage regulator will not work properly with a battery isolator unless the regulator Voltage is taken from tha battery side of the isolator. The reason for this is the Voltage drop found in the diode in the isolator. It will be in the neighborhood of .6 to .7 Volts. This may already work in the Hearse with a generator but if you switch to an alternator with internal regulator then the regulator terminal should not be simply looped back from the B+ alternator post back to the plug. It should now go to the battery. Which battery? The one that starts the car.
    You will be much better off with an alternator than the olde generator if you decide to change.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.