Second Battery? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Second Battery? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Sounds good. So the 3 wire alt. hook up goes like this. http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com/images...atorWiring.PDF Running through the idiot light provides the ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Second Battery?

Sounds good. So the 3 wire alt. hook up goes like this.

http://www.rockcrusher4x4.com/images...atorWiring.PDF

Running through the idiot light provides the ignition source? What do you think about trying to use the gen. since it is a 55 ampere?

Picked up a battery iso off ebay. Gonna try to use it with 2 batteries and the exisiting charging system. I think it'll work just fine.

Liesure Components dual battery isolator model 2496

New, never installed.

isolator rated at 160 amp, for a max. 135 amp alternator.

includes installation instructions

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

We used almost the exact same isloator in fleet service when some of the upper maneagment got a brainstorm
    (always a dangerous situation as they were all headed for the out door). They had unfinished aluminum on the heatsink though. 2 doides in a sealed box is what you are looking at. Very reliable units. We punished them and they held up.
    Maybe try it with the Voltage sense wiring left stock at first then hook it up to the main Bat. You should see a .7 Volt increase in charring, er uh charging Voltage.

I'm gonna run the main BAT wire to the iso then from the iso to each battery. Should work great and I won't have to worry about a dead battery come starting time after letting the car sit with lights and stereo going. I think I'm gonna hook up a fuse box to the second battery that way any accessory I run with second battery will be fused. Ape are you saying that the increase in voltage could cause some melt down or "charring" of exisiting wiring?

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Nope. There will not be an increase. Initially it will decrease. You are shooting for the original charging Voltage before modification. You will see if you measure Voltage at the main battery with the engine running and no accessories running. It will drop .7 Volts with the isloator connected. This is the reason to move the Voltage sense wire over to the battery or it's load circuit if a drop is anticipated.

Well finally got around to hooking everything up. My question is this. In the directions it suggested hooking a circuit breaker between the auxillary battery and the isolator. The wire from the isolator goes to the top post on the circuit breaker marked BATTERY and the wire from the bottom post marked AUX goes to the second battery. I've included a pic. Is this correct? Normally when using these in conjunction with a battery to accessory I'm thinking you go from the battery to the top post and then from the bottom post to the accessory. In this case it should be hooked up like I have it. The top post is where current comes in and the bottom is where it goes out. Correct? Thanks for any help. Also hooked up a fuse box in the car for the second battery.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.