Torque Monster Bit Me!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Torque Monster Bit Me! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Wow the 500 is a Torque monster.. I was giving my new motor a shakedown on the rocks today... Absolute ...
    Juztyn00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Torque Monster Bit Me!

Wow the 500 is a Torque monster.. I was giving my new motor a shakedown on the rocks today... Absolute awesome crawling ability! goin up 50 degree slopes at 800 rpm just idling basically. twisted it over some rocks and blasted through some mud. My 500 doesnt like water though. stalled it but it started back up. OH and the torque monster killed my dana 44 front in under an hour... I was impressed! If it kills my corparate 14 bolt (close to a dana 70) in the rear I'll really be impressed! Not that i mind doing the rebuild to something beefier. Never lost oil pressure on the slopes either. Oh well I'm having fun wheeling with a caddy.

~Justin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Re: Torque Monster Bit Me!

Wow! That sounds awesome! I'm glad that your project turned out well. I think that was a smooth move putting the 500 in there. Talk about some torque! Haha. Are you running the stock cam or what? A cam from MTS or something made to increase torque would really help if you havn't come across one already. Keep up the progress

Juztyn00 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think its a stock cam... not that i need much more.. I'm just being amazed at the difference from the 305 that i pulled out of the truck. I would of been scared to death to take it on some of the hills i took today. i would of had to have the 305 rapped out to about 4000 rpm to have enough power and then all i would of been doing is trying to bounce up the hill at 20 mph.. i think i have a good combo with the low torque of the 500 with 4.10 gears was going to get a doubler but dont think i need it now. Also driving through town today had a guy in a "Sport" compact pull up next to me at a stop light and edge forward... I think he was a little surprised to see nothing but my tailgate when the light turned green. ~Juztyn

bobbyt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Gotta love the toque monster. I can't wait to get my truck running. I stuffed the 500 inot a 49 Ford F1 truck. Its been along time since I had a real tire burner.
    I've had the truck running enough to go around the block a few times before tearing it back apart to clean it up some. Hopefully in a month or two.....

Bobby

nvrstuk is offline Cadillac Owners Member

So what tranny did you use? I've got a EB with 20 forward gears so rock crawling ratios are great. Since this is a multi purpose rig for snow bashing and sand running I'd like enough torque to turn the 37"x 14.5" tires enough to launch me up the hills!

You should be twisting the ujoints on the Dana 44 easily. I twist them constantly with my 116:1 gear ratios. Upgrading to a Dana 60 now to slow that carnage down.

Any other pros and cons on the Caddy up front? Is weight an issue for you?

TIA

nvrstuk

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by Juztyn00
    Wow the 500 is a Torque monster.. I was giving my new motor a shakedown on the rocks today... Absolute awesome crawling ability!
    What year 500 are you running?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.