500 CI year identification
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 CI year identification in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; My name is josh I'm new to the forums, my dad bought me a 500 CI V8 for a bday ...
    CadillacSwain is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Caddy engine so far

My name is josh I'm new to the forums, my dad bought me a 500 CI V8 for a bday present in an "as is condition" I'm going to start rebuilding it soon and was just curious about the year it was made in so I looked it up and was caught off guard when the number stamped on the rear of the black reads 1495200 the only other vin numbers I saw were 148's so maybe this is a misprint? Anybody have some technical wisdom?
    -Josh

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by CadillacSwain View Post
    My name is josh I'm new to the forums, my dad bought me a 500 CI V8 for a bday present in an "as is condition" I'm going to start rebuilding it soon and was just curious about the year it was made in so I looked it up and was caught off guard when the number stamped on the rear of the black reads 1495200 the only other vin numbers I saw were 148's so maybe this is a misprint? Anybody have some technical wisdom? -Josh
    I believe the 5200 means its a 70-76. If it was from an Eldo its a 500, but other 70-74 were 472.
    The head number is the other info you need to narrow it down; that combined with matching
    pistons gave widely different compression ratios. Note if heads have cast in EGR passages.

To be certain its a 500, check the stroke. Bruce Roe

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible

Re: 500 CI year identification

Welcome to the forum Josh! I've been a member here for about a year (or so) and posts here get a lot of looks, but not many replies. Don't know why........

Anyway, to answer your question, 500s were made from 1970 to 1976. 472s were made from 1968 to 1974 or 1975 (not 100% sure). The reason I mentioned the 472 is that the 472 and 500 share the same block. What makes a 472 different than a 500 is the crankshaft (a longer stroke). As far as telling what year it was made, that is very difficult to do the factory really didn't make them distinguishable from year to year, especially 1970 going forward. My block has that ...5200 casting number. The car's VIN is lightly stamped on the engine where the bellhousing bolts up, very near the block casting number, Maybe if you get the VIN, there is some data base somewhere that will tell the year?

I'll post some links to some Cadillac specialty vendors and you can read all about 472s and 500s for weeks on end!

Here's one that is highly rated by a lot of folks. I took my 472 (out of my '70 Deville Convertible) to them for a rebuild. I had them put a 500 crank in it and now I too have a 500 (even though the engine was originally a 472 (remember, same block)).
    http://www.500cid.com/index.htm

Here's another that provides a wealth of knowledge about these engines:
    http://www.cad500parts.com/

Here are a couple of other forums where there is a lot more participation:
    http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php
    http://cadillacmisfits.com/index.php

Also Google power forum cadillac. (for some reason, I can't post the link directly) Good engine information there (hot rod stuff).

Enjoy reading all the links provided, you'll be fully prepared to go through that motor in no time. By the way, what is the motor going in????

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.