Fuel injected or carbureted 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Fuel injected or carbureted 500? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I read the latest replies to the "wow" thread, and I started thinking if it's possible to use a fuel ...
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Fuel injected or carbureted 500?

I read the latest replies to the "wow" thread, and I started thinking if it's possible to use a fuel injected 500 in my car. I know fuel injection was an option in 76, and it cost $647, and that the hp and torque were rated higher (by 25hp and 40# tq), but that's all I know. Anyone know how many of the >250,000 500s made in 76 were FI? Anyone ever tried to find a FI 500?

Another thing .. would it even be worth getting one for my car if I could find one? An Edelbrock intake on a carbureted 500 will probably net about the same power.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Pat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Oscoda, MI (200 miles North of Detroit on Lake Huron)

Re: Fuel injected or carbureted 500?

Dave,
    For a stock 500, the FI is fine. There is on on ebay that just closed for $400 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2442098512). They routinely show up on the MTS and other Cadillac sale boards. They were an option and can go for $1000. For more power, upgrading to the Edelbrock Performer intake, along with an aftermarket throttle body injection and dual exhaust will do wonders. I have two of the three (2 1/2" dual exhaust and a Holley Pro-Jection) on the '72 500 in my '81 Coupe. The car is parked for the winter and will get a rebuild including ported Bulldog aluminum heads/intake along with an MTS M15 cam (about 268 degrees advertised duration; about 30 degrees more than stock) and a compression increase to 12:1 (remember, aluminum heads allow more compression, but I will still be adding octane booster).

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I read the latest replies to the "wow" thread, and I started thinking if it's possible to use a fuel injected 500 in my car. I know fuel injection was an option in 76, and it cost $647, and that the hp and torque were rated higher (by 25hp and 40# tq), but that's all I know. Anyone know how many of the >250,000 500s made in 76 were FI? Anyone ever tried to find a FI 500?

Another thing .. would it even be worth getting one for my car if I could find one? An Edelbrock intake on a carbureted 500 will probably net about the same power.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Fuel injected or carbureted 500?

With that ebay link that keeps being posted both in this thread and the "wow" thread, you know that was just the intake manifold with the fuel injection on top, not the full engine, right? Just checking.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.