368 stop engine temp light.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 368 stop engine temp light. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; One night I noticed the stop engine temp light barely on. The car hadn't run all day. I started it ...
    Lorcinls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 86Fleetwood Brougham Hearse 84 Fleetwood Hearse 12 CTS Coupe

368 stop engine temp light.

One night I noticed the stop engine temp light barely on. The car hadn't run all day. I started it it ran fine shut it off and the light stayed on. I pulled the fuse and left it until I had time to mess with it. I put the fuse in, the light was off. Ran the car it was ok, no light. Several times I ran the car and then one day while letting it idle in the driveway the light came on full brightness. I wound up changing the thermostat, figured I've never changed it might be a good idea. The light comes on after a few minutes. I don't see any leaks coming from the water pump. It appears to have good circulation inside. My next step is going to be a temp gage to see exactly the engine temp. I feel like its a gremlin somewhere and don't want to just change parts. The engine is a 368 carbed motor, in a 84 commercial chassis, Hearse last year they put the motor in a caddy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: 368 stop engine temp light.

If it is the set-up that I have seen there is a temp switch that is on the drivers side head , way back close to the firewall. It has only one wire going to it . It is close to the last spark plug. I would just pull the wire off and if you feel you got to have a new one I think rock auto had them a while back.

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

HI

FIrst off, it sounds like the sending unit is wired to the battery side of the car's
    electrics… or, some back feeding…. either way, it shouldn't be that way.

Secondly, in 40 years of old car adventures I have regularly been freaked out by
    bad gauges, bad sending units, bad wiring to the those sending units, bad grounds,
    …etc.etc.

I highly recommend that anyone into old cars BUY and USE a good quality infra-red
    thermometer with the laser pointer. About $50 these days.
    They allow you take the actual temperature of any engine part. I have recently verified that my
    temp gauge in my 49 Willys is off by about 20-25 degrees on a hot day after the car is thoroughly
    warmed up. So, it reads 210-220 when the motor is actually at 190 ish. I even take the radiator cap off and measure the
    surface temp of the coolant, & down the top and sides of the radiator, the intake manifold,
    thermostat housing, cylinder head, etc.
    I take the gizmo with me on every old car outing …. it's a great comfort when
    all you have to rely on is an iffy gauge reading & you can't take your eyes off it at stop lights!
    my 2 cents.
    mike

Lorcinls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 86Fleetwood Brougham Hearse 84 Fleetwood Hearse 12 CTS Coupe

I've driven it for about 2 years now and this just started in dec. it's all original under the hood. Nothing chopped or cut up. I thought of back feeding but can't seem to trace anything out yet.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.