UPDATE, '76 eldorado project
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, UPDATE, '76 eldorado project in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well I finally got the exhaust manifolds off. I managed to get some professional help along the way for free, ...
    terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

UPDATE, '76 eldorado project

Well I finally got the exhaust manifolds off. I managed to get some professional help along the way for free, so we just cut off the remaning heads and after a few hours and many fun tools later, all the snapped off bolts were removed from the block.

We then pulled the radiator, and tomorrow I am taking it to get rodded out.

We also pulled the carb and intake manifold, and the carb is going to be left alone as it was rebuilt a couple of years ago. We are taking the intake manifold to the local machine shop to get soaked in some fluid (whatever they clean the blocks in) Then it's going to be painted black.

We are taking the exhaust manifolds to get milled and magnafluxed so that they will sit flush without having to use gaskets, the way it was meant to be!

Also I have a big order of parts on the way, consisting of a new lower radiator hose, Proform HEI distributer rebuild/upgrade kit, Taylor Spiro Pro plug wires, new plugs, and a K&N open element chrome air cleaner.

I've also pulled and painted the alternator brackets, A/C compressor mount, and valve covers red.

Also, I just bolted the new front bumper fillers onto the fenders, whcih will be put back on when all of the engine work is finished.

Anyways, jsut wanted to give an update to all, especially those who helped me with the exhaust manifold bolts!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: UPDATE, '76 eldorado project

Sounds great except for the radiator. How about just getting a recore or whole new one. The prices are so low there days that it usually lands up that way.

Hm. Never thought about that. How much would a recore cost? My local shop could do it, right?

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Your best bet is to call around to some local radiator shops. You can also check prices at your local favorite awful (auto) parts house.
    Sometimes the auto parts place gets radiators from the radiator place. That makes it even more interesting.

Alright, I'll call around and get some input, etc. Any idea how much it will set me back?

Once it is all put together I am taking it uptown to get the custom dual exhaust job done.

Okay, radiator is getting recored

Alright, now both heads are getting rebuilt, and we are pulling what is left (the block, pistons, cam) out of the car to have the blocked honed out and all of that, etc. REplacing all of the leaky seals, etc. It should be really lush when finished. While the engine is out we are painting the frame, and Painting the pan, block, and heads all one color. Any ideas on color?

Alright, so I had a long talk with all who are involved in/helping me with the project. We are going to make it into a 500+ horsepower / 700+ ft. lbs. of torque beast. It should be done by Novemeber possibly. I'm spending all of my money and life savings on it. The most expensive thing will be to fix and then build up and strengthen the tranny. I think I'm going to paint the pan, block, and heads all dark purple, with purple a/c compressor bracket, slaternator bracket, etc. And then purple convulted or wahtever tubing for all teh wires, chrome K&N air cleaner, gloss black intake manifold, chrome alternator and brake master cylinder. The frame will be gloss blavck as well. I can't wait guys!

JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

If you want to do things right... get an eastwood catalog and get some rust encapsulator and some of their frame paint. At 100+ plus bucks a gallon its some of the best stuff for the job!

BTW What mods do you plan on doing for that kind of power?

Thanks for the reply on the frame paint, it is apreciated. I'll have to check that out.

As for the mods, I'm not too sure until I get the report. I know that we are boring it out, new cam, high comp pistons (not sure on the compression ratio yet), also possibly a bulldog intake along with a holley dominator 1050 carb.

I will report it all once I get final word from the machine shop, etc.

We may not make it to those figures, etc. on account of I have decided that I want it to run on 93 octane since it will still be somewaht of a daily driver. The original plan was to go ALL OUT but I'm having ot de-tune my plans a bit.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.