Cad 472/500 intake on EBAY
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Cad 472/500 intake on EBAY in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Not mine. It didn't sell with a starting bid of $29.99 last time so the guy re-listed it. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7987922823...
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Cad 472/500 intake on EBAY

Not mine. It didn't sell with a starting bid of $29.99 last time so the guy re-listed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7987922823

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Adumb is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Current: 2001 Catera Past: '83 Fleetwood

Re: Cad 472/500 intake on EBAY

question. since its a 76 intake, would it be smaller in flow due to emissions?

Nah. An added emissions plus would be the EGR valve. Does nothing at full throttle but with proper tuning actually helps fuel economy.

huh, so emissions are mostly in the heads and cam? nothing to the intake or the carb?

Quote Originally Posted by Adumb
    huh, so emissions are mostly in the heads and cam? nothing to the intake or the carb?
    "Emissions" is a buzz word used to sell "high performance" parts. It gives license to remove all kinds of engine items and buy whiz bang pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    "Emissions" is a buzz word used to sell "high performance" parts. It gives license to remove all kinds of engine items and buy whiz bang pieces.
    really? not trying to be a smartass or anything, but is that fact or opinion? cuz the 500 dropped 210 hp between 70 and 76, and im curious as to what made it drop. i always assumed the cam played a big role in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Adumb
    really? not trying to be a smartass or anything, but is that fact or opinion? cuz the 500 dropped 210 hp between 70 and 76, and im curious as to what made it drop. i always assumed the cam played a big role in it.
    You are not being a smartass. You are simply asking questions. That sure beats wasting time and money on your project.

Remember when reading anything about "high performance" to take information with a grain of salt when it comes from someone trying to sell you something. That is not to say that there aren't any good speed parts for Cadillac engines. It's only a comment on the sales technique.

Pay close attention to people who actually turn wrenches for advice. There are small armies of those who read articles and drool over this or that. That's fine but any information you get from these people is in fact at least second hand. If you hear that Joe Blow says to use a square muffler bearing to make your Cadillac fly then go ask old Joe himself. Then find out who else bought a square muffler bearing set from Joe's Performance and find out if it lived up to expectations.

I've have seen some pretty good articles on Cadillac engine build-ups. They don't look like an infomercial either. You can take out a balance sheet like an accountant and see what you get for your money the way these are written. They didn't simply say to throw out this part or that because they were "emissions" parts.

The 500 only lost several percent in power from '70 verses '76. The difference was mainly a reduction in compression. Auto manufacturers knew that lead was no longer going to be used to increase octane so they reduced compression. EGR was introduced to reduce oxides of nitrogen. Guess what. EGR means little or nothing nothing at full throttle on these engines. The later engines had H.E.I. and the curves were optimized for fuel economy. The reason that you see a reduction of 210 horses is due mainly to the change from gross to net horsepower rating in 1972. If you actually pull up every part number for both engines and compare it can be seen that not a heck of a lot was changed. The part numbers are available in some of the older Motors Parts and Labor Time Guides. As an example, look at a '71 472 verses a '72 472. You see the reduced power rating but just about no difference in what is under the hood.

Good luck with your project. You picked a great brand to start with.

yeah, thanks, that does make sense. how much hp do you think got put out to the wheels in 68-71 before they did the bhp? around 290- 300 maybe? i guess loss of compression would decrease power pretty good, thanks for the help

I really don't know how what the numbers would add up to. Only time I've ever used a dyno would be for state inspection. You become a dinosaur very quickly in the auto business. That's me. Last time I went to Englishtown (1986) with my Cadillac, the 1/4 mile time, weight and speed were plugged into one of those old Peretson Publishing slide rules. Those spit out horsepower numbers based on what you put into them. It came up with a number like 235 or something close to that for my horsepower. I looked up the net horsepower rating for my engine and it was 230! Maybe just dumb luck. I said to myself, "self, this slide rule is works pretty good". Next step was to plug that same horsepower figure into a car with 1000LBs less weight. The quater mile times sure looked good.
    Maybe someone knows where a similar calculator is online.

yeah, that does sound kinda cool, ill try looking a bit for one of those calcs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.