Which temp is normal for a 500?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Which temp is normal for a 500? in Cadillac Engine Discussion; ...
    Pjotr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac SDV 1968

Which temp is normal for a 500?

I've got a 500 in my -68 SDV, it´s in 188F when I drive and in 212F when I've been standing still on idle in 5-10 minutes. When I drive again it will be in 203F. And after awhile it's about 190-195F, is it ok? How high would it be without damage? I've got a new 180F therm and a new radiator cap, but I'm missing the radiator shroud. Just little worried for overheating at idle, when the car goes very slow. It's not boiling jet, but I can hear a "buzzering" sound somewhere when it's hot. The vacuum advance is ok.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kjc
    kjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Which temp is normal for a 500?

Sounds good, really. The service manual for the '68 caddy says the thermostat was designed to open at 217 degrees coolant temperature. I wouldn't worry unless the temperature continues to rise after you start accelerating.

4. Remove Advertisements
    Cadillac Forums
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

What Cadillac(s) do you own? (Or type NONE)

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.