Did I blow my engine?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Did I blow my engine? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Going down the highway one night, I started running really hot, so I pulled over and turned my car off ...
    Twelv-12e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood, '04 DTS (for sale), '97 STS (for sale)

Cool Did I blow my engine?

Going down the highway one night, I started running really hot, so I pulled over and turned my car off (a 73 eldorado). She didnt turn off. To the contrary, she started running faster. So I jumped out, pulled the battery terminals off, pulled the alternator wire off (Ok, I panicked) and started pulling plug wires off the distributor. Still didnt stop, but at this point, it was smoking and actually SPARKING out of the exhaust manifold. But it eventually stopped. Anyway, the next day, I hooked everything back up, and she cranked fine, but smokes like a traine from under the hood. I think I know the answer here, but I'm in denial. Does anyone else think I blew the engine? Piston rings, etc?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kjc
    kjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Did I blow my engine?

Your engine may be fine, but more details would help. Why did it get hot? Did you lose all your coolant? Did the thermostat fail to open? How high was the oil level? Did you hear any detonation rattle? How does it sound now at idle? What does the oil look like now? Any water in the oil or tail pipe?
    I've pegged the temp guage needle on at least two different engines, one more than once, the other to the point that the engine died and would not start for an hour, then drove it home, very slowly, anyway they both are still running good, no rebuilds, no teardowns, no water where there shouldn't be, they're both Ford 302s, and if they can take it... Look it over real well before you start tearing anything down. If it's okay, then you may want to change the oil right away, and maybe the trans fluid, since it is cooled by the radiator.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

the engine got so hot it was dieseling, meaning the combustion chamber was so hot it was igniting the fuel/air on heat alone, no spark... so you could have did anything to the battery or spark plugs and it would still go... plus, if the battery is disconnected, then pulling the wires woudln't do anything... the only real way to shut the engine down from there is to just let it do its thing, or starve it of fuel somehow...

caddydaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade 6.0L 2WD, 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited CRD

The best way to stop an engine once it diesels is to smother the carb with a towel, so it chokes with no air.

Twelv-12e is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 Fleetwood, '04 DTS (for sale), '97 STS (for sale)

The thermo was fine, as I replaced it the day before. I think it was either the waterpump (Though I heard no belt squeel, the inside fins could have at broke off) or some kind of blockedge. The only coolant I lost was from it boiling over when I stopped it. I havent checked the oil yet. However, before it went nuclear, the tranny stopped shifting. I was driving at 10mph in 1st gear on the shoulder trying to get home. (It has a newly rebuilt tranny and the fluid level was fine) The only thing that really concernse me is the smoking from under the hood. But tommorow I'm going to check all the fluids for water, so I'll post again then. Sorry for the rambling.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

If you replaced it the day before I'd immediately suspect a bad replacement one...

kjc
    kjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree, replace it again, but make sure you have the right one.
    On the caddy big blocks the coolant sustem has the bypass right under the thermostat, it's a hole about an inch in diameter, make sure you have the right thermostat with a disc on the bottom that controls bypass, or if the bypass has been plugged permanently, a chevy thermostat will work.

cdog533 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V

I'm betting the new thermo was in backwards... Sounds like it WAY overheated, something you wouldnt see on the temp gauge as no coolant was getting to it. I've seen this before.

You head gasket is smoked. Maybe the head. And maybe the block. Replace the head gaskets and see if its OK.

Slartibarfast is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: The best way to stop dieseling

is to leave the transmission in gear. :coolgleam

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.