Need help on 76 Eldo 500 c.i. fuelie
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Need help on 76 Eldo 500 c.i. fuelie in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hi All, New to board and Cadillacs but I'm a confirmed GM a holic. Mostly Trans Ams, Corvettes. Heck, even ...
    Steve Barr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Need help on 76 Eldo 500 c.i. fuelie

Hi All,

New to board and Cadillacs but I'm a confirmed GM a holic. Mostly Trans Ams, Corvettes. Heck, even my bike has a GM ZZ4 355 horse crate motor on it.

Just bought 1976 Eldo convertible (don't ask, it was a great buy on a per pound basis). It has the Bendix fuel injected system. Crude, but for 1976 what the heck.

Checked with my mechanic, I need a heater, valve guide and spring assembly for the 500 Bendix fuel injected engine. Located under the air cleaner assembly, plugs in to sensor and regulates start up mix. GM part numbers 1608795, 6, 7 and 1628898.

Mine will run, but REAL rich until warmed up. LOts of unburned gas going to catalytic converter. Fuel injectors fine.

New to this vehicle, ideas on wher I can fing this assembly? GM still lists as valid part numbers but no stock.

Also, is it just me or is this a really bizarre covertible mechanism? Mine works fine, just seems like a Rube Goldberg contraption.

Also, where can Iget a Panama hat and some havanas?

Thanks much.

Steve in Raleigh

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille
    From What You Describe, I Would Replace The Coolant Temp Sensor, The Air Temp Sensor And The Coolant Temp Sensor Are The Same. Try Swapping One For The Other. That Should Correct The Rich Running. The Air Valve In The Throttle Body Just Raises The Idle For Cold Start. It Extends Down Opening An Air Passage To Raise The Idle. When They Fail, No Fast Idle. . The Two Sensors Are At Opposite Ends Of The Intake Manifold If Memory Serves. I Have A Idle Valve That Appears New That I Would Sell If You Really Do Need It. Also, I've Seen That If The Idle Valve Gets No Current, That The Idle Wont Go Down. With The Engine Cold And Running, There Is Spring Tension On The Valve, You Can Push It Down, When The Engine Is Up To Temperature The Valve Has No Tension. It Is Fully Retracted In The Throttle Body. Hope This Helps. Bill.

Steve Barr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hi Carnut,

Thanks much, I appreciate it. You are correct, I can get no fast idle as the plunger inside the top of the unit appears frozen. GREAT advice, I will check for current to the unit and the 2 temp sending units. Even if the sending units help, the throttle body valve unit is bad too.

If you have one, I would definitely interested. Not sure of protocol on thos board, feel free to reply on forum or offline email to Steve_Barr@NCSU.EDU. Price incl. shipping to NC, zip code 27519?

Thanks much.

Yours,

Steve

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.