472/500 Eldebrock intake vs stock
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472/500 Eldebrock intake vs stock in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Eldebrock advertises horsepower and torque gains with their intake over the stock 472/500. But does anyone on this forum on ...
    claykuch is offline Cadillac Owners Member

472/500 Eldebrock intake vs stock

Eldebrock advertises horsepower and torque gains with their intake over the stock 472/500. But does anyone on this forum on have any real world experience with this intake. Does it really create a noteable increase in power? Is it worth the money?

Thanks,
    Clayton

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 472/500 Eldebrock intake vs stock

Excellent question.

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

It definately provides an increase in HP over stock. Plus it's lighter weight. Apparently if you do a modified stock intake you can make it flow within almost 95% of the Edelbrock, check out http://www.cadillacowners.com and look at "Manifold" on the left side navigation bar.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    It definately provides an increase in HP over stock. Plus it's lighter weight. Apparently if you do a modified stock intake you can make it flow within almost 95% of the Edelbrock, check out http://www.cadillacowners.com and look at "Manifold" on the left side navigation bar.
    How much did you pay for yours if I might ask?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

I never said I have an Edelbrock, but from the dyno tests I've seen from Flash and a couple magazine articles, along with people I've talked to, I've concluded the Edelbrock is definately worth some HP. Flash got 20hp but lost 7ft.lbs. I don't have the mag articles but they're floating around the internet if you want to take a look at them.

Jegs wants $270, MTS wants $280, Flash wants $300 last time I checked, which was about a month ago...

Thanks.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

In Hot Rods "Torque Pig" article, they took a low compression 500 and baselined at 303hp/468lb*ft
    2" primary headers took it to 314hp/476lb*ft
    Edelbrock manifold move it to 340hp/501lb*ft

They went on some from there, but really not relevant in this thread.

Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Anyone have any clearance issues when installing the Edelbrock? I've read that there is a 3 inch difference in hieght. Is this true or is the over all height 3 inches. Thanks.

dragcaddy68 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sasquatch,
    If you're putting this in your '69, yes there will be hood clearance issues. You can get away with it by running either at least a 2" drop base aircleaner, or sometype of low profile setup (like a Weiand or Edelbrock "Proflow").
    If you have the hood insulation still intact, it will be resting on the lid.

The Edelbrock is 3.5" taller than stock.

Clayton
    If you're not doing any other mods, I'm not sure it's worth it.
    It will get approx. 30-40 hp. from what I've experienced. On a stock head motor, I'm not sure it's worth the money. Your heads are the bottleneck anyway. It does look cool and shaves quite a bit of weight though.
    If you are rebuilding and going to wake your heads up a little bit, and put more of a performance cam grind in, then definately put this piece on because it is the best option out there for the money, as compared to a Bulldog single plane or some type of Ford 460 intake w/ costly adapter. The Edelbrock 2115 will flow enough air for 5600-5800 rpm and at least 600hp levels.
    Being my first post, sorry for the long winded one

Don't want to change to the Proflow since my carb is fairly new. Any idea where to find this drop base aircleaner that will fit my Edelbrock 1411 carb? Thanks.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

If it's 5 and 1/8" diameter, which I think it would be, K&N makes a thin raised base. I got the raised base to clear the compressor, skinny to still clear the hood, and K&N to make up for the smaller element. No issues, just had to cut a little bity slot in it for the corner of the compressor.

Also, for your engine I would recommend just cutting the center out of the stocker. It flows 94% of the Edelbrock at WORSE, which really won't make a difference with the stock engine.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Keep in mind... with the Edelbrock, there is no place to bolt the stock AC compressor...

No AC in my car so that is not an issue. I'm still not convinced about cutting the center out of the stock manifold. I know I've read the postings but still think the added hieght of the Edelbrock intake makes for better mixture. Terrible one where did you find that breather? Any part numbers? Here's what I'm running now.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Looking pretty good Sasquatch. I didn't realise you had no A/C in your car. So basically you just need to clear the hood. When you say breather, do you mean the air filter? I got it from summit. Just navigate through the departments section until you get to Air Cleaner Assemblies and then the carb flange is 5 1/8 and brand K&N and then pick one that will fit under your hood.

Yeah, I was wondering about the thing myself. Undoubtedly it is made to help with flow. However, the Edelbrock has a bit of a plenum as well, so that is a tad restrictive. Also, I think that if you cut the plenum out of the stock and then added a spacer it would be even closer to the numbers of the Edelbrock.

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

lol.... see, for me atleast... if I have a hot rod Caddy.... then get rid of AC (which I hardly use anyway)....well, that just isn't cool... nor happening, just like i will not be loosing cruise control, delay wipers... or any of the other features the '79 Caddy has.

cutting the center section out of the stock intake isn't a big deal... in fact... I did it!

thats right, also... today, is when the intake is going on, the spare carburator I have is going to be taken apart, soaked, and start to be rebuilt.

Too bad too, since last Wednesday was the last day for Wed. night test and tune at the track, I wanted to see how much of a difference "just" the intake mod made, not everything else...

So before I put it on, I am going to hit it with some paint... it isn't Cadillac Blue (Royal Blue) but it is deep Ford blue which is a close match, and this is hardly any hi-po engine build up (just messing around with the stock 425 for now) so I don't care... I am also going to pull the valve covers (since I already have the gaskets) clean them up, and hit them with paint as well... shes gonna look purdy.

I have a 14" Edelbrock open element air filter, but a total of 1.5" of spacers to clear the AC compressor, so I am going to buy a 1" carburator spacer, to raise the whole carb 1".... more volume of air/fuel mixture within the intake, longer time to atmonize, better.... then I'll just keep .5" of air intake riser (since I have 1" and .5") and the origanal Q-jet will get slapped on for today.... that is, until the new one goes on in the next couple days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.