At least it can roll!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, At least it can roll! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im pretty deep in my project now. Ive ran into only one snag so far. I havent been able to ...
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Thumbs up At least it can roll!

Im pretty deep in my project now. Ive ran into only one snag so far. I havent been able to not break those damned clips that hold the dirt flaps, and also those black plastic wire-holder clips. Does anyone know where i can get replacements of both??????

Also i need to find a place that sells Q-Jet rebuild kits... help? Enjoy the pictures, more to come...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: At least it can roll!

Almost forgot to ask... i need to know the stock colors of...

Control Arms
    Heater Valve (which i think is what im holding in the one pic???)
    Frame (black?)
    Power booster, hood brackets (cadium plated?)

Thanks! oh since i took these pics i have removed the heater core, good thing im replacing that while the engine is out!!!

WWII is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Where are you planning on getting the heater core from? I am missing the whole thing, blower and all. It's just one huge hole from the engine compartment to the passenger side. I am in need of one, bad. I won't let my girlfriend ride in it until it gets covered. I was thinking of just placing some fiberglass or sheet metal over the hole, and puting in a mojave(?) heater....I just really don't feel like going out and getting one out of a car. I'd rather order one.

Well the core is different from the housing.... the core you can just go and buy down at the store. The housing you may have to get out of a junkyard, not quite following ya...

I'm missing the core and the housing.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by WWII
    I'm missing the core and the housing.
    The housing's probably going to have to be a junkyard item.

that's kind of what i figured. oh well

Well i got the day off so im rollin her outside and do a little powerwashing. I got the stuff off that im sendin out to get cadium plated.

Now i cleaned up my tranny a bit and noticed some spots of caddy blue paint. Im pretty sure tranny's dont get painted that often, did GM paint these things tho? Im really not sure.

One more thing. I buying alot of my paint stuff from eastwood i was wondering if anyone has ever bought their Cadillac Dark Blue. How close is it to the original? I want it to be perfect, thanks guys!

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

You can get the core on Ebay pretty cheap. The housing is no where to be found on the net as far as I'm concerned.

JTraik-
    Looking good man, it looks just like my '76 eldo project. Yes, GM did paint the trannys blue. Mine has a bit left on it as well. I also found traces of blue on the intake manifold, valve covers, and, of course, the block. I'm sure that 500 looked really pretty when it rolled off the showroom floor.

Ok... i just went out and checked out my block at the machine shop today. Hes doing a bunch of stuff to my heads to update them for unleaded gas. As far as my block goes im going to have to get it bored out. Unlucky for me my 472 has the "squashed peanut" pistons which are close to impossible to come by, or at least thats what i think of them so far. I dont want to lose compression from 10.5:1 to 8.5:1

Does anyone have any information to help me? I want at least 10:1 and i dont think i should surpass 11:1 What kind of compression will some of the later 472 pistons give me if i interchange? Thanks guys!

Ha maybe i spoke too soon, looks like these guys are having a special. What should i know about these to know if they are quality or not? They seem fairly cheap which raised a flag...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...QQcmdZViewItem

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

You better not surpass 11:1 without some race gas. 10:1 is good, you can get some KB pistons from Potter (or other Caddy parts vendors) that should be 10:1 on your motor. KBs are good pistons and the stock rods are strong, but if you ever intend to run forced induction or nitrous then IMO pay the extra for forged pistons and rods.

I hate to tell you but your heads didn't need to be 'updated to run on unleaded gas,' that pretty much just means he's installing hardened valve seats, and the OEM ones were plenty hard enough.

Edit: Hmm, Maddog racing has some cast 472 pistons eh... The cast ones they're selling are a good deal essentially a stock replacement piston, if you want more performance oriented ones go with KBs for a naturally aspirated or forged for forced induction. I haven't heard much about Maddog racing, but their feedback looks really good.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    I hate to tell you but your heads didn't need to be 'updated to run on unleaded gas,' that pretty much just means he's installing hardened valve seats, and the OEM ones were plenty hard enough.
    Well i thought it was bs until he showed me every little thing. He showed me examples of how they chrome plate valve stems because the chrome plating is extremely hard and doesnt need the lead to lubricate like its non-chrome plated counterpart. He showed me side by side my valve and a chrome plated one and you could see where mine was all worn down and the other was not. Then i was showed that there was play with my valves in the guide. So new guide inserts...

Now the exhaust valve seats... apparently unleaded gas upon detonation is 1000 degrees farhenheit hotter than leaded gas. So using the orignal cast seating with unleaded gas will eventually cause it to pit and degrade because of the heat.

And i will also be getting the latest valve seals which will never break up like my old umbrellas.

I would still like some more feedback on those Maddog pistons. I want to buy them right away. I should be set with cast pistons. What the hell would i need forged for?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

The original valve seats, as long as they're in decent conditon, would've served you well for many years. I seriously doubt any claim of a 1000* difference between leaded and unleaded, I mean gas only combusts at (damn it I lost my link to where I could find the temp, but I know it's not very high into the thousand range anyway.) Maybe it's that hot upon detonation, but if you have detonation you have worse problems than valve seats failing...

I also don't know how much valve stem wear is enough to worry about so I can't really comment there. Replacing bad valve seals doesn't have much to do with leaded gas.

I don't know about YOUR project so I figured I'd cover all the bases and mention forged and KB hypers just in case you get an itch to go faster with the push of a button... I don't know of anyone on here or the cb7 board who has pistons from maddog, but there have to be some out there, hopefully they'll come forward.

Quote Originally Posted by davesdeville
    \I also don't know how much valve stem wear is enough to worry about so I can't really comment there. Replacing bad valve seals doesn't have much to do with leaded gas.

I don't know about YOUR project so I figured I'd cover all the bases and mention forged and KB hypers just in case you get an itch to go faster with the push of a button... I don't know of anyone on here or the cb7 board who has pistons from maddog, but there have to be some out there, hopefully they'll come forward.
    Well the original seals harden and break up causing all the oil to seep past the stems, these new ones will not. The valve stems from the 60's without the chrome plate will wear down on the sides because of absence of lead to lubricate.

Im interested in these KB pistons, what is so special about them, why should i buy them? Thanks...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.