Synthetic or bust...?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Synthetic or bust...? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Its getting extremely close to the buying the rebuild kit for my 472... shes gettin sent out to get the ...
    JTraik is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '68 DeVille '95 FWB '99 Eldo '96 Cummins Ram 5MT

Synthetic or bust...?

Its getting extremely close to the buying the rebuild kit for my 472... shes gettin sent out to get the heads checked and the block hot tanked... im excited. Now my question is. Can i break in this engine with synthetic oil? She will never see the regular stuff ever again, so please tell me if i can do it and how can i do it, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Re: Synthetic or bust...?

All the ring and bearing manufacturers say not to, so I wouldn't.
    When I rebuilt a SBC recently, I ran it in on dino oil, change oil after the 20-30 min cam break-in. Change again after driving around for a few miles. Change again after the first few hundered miles, and then another change after another 1000 miles or so. The last change with synthetic.
    You want alot of oil changes because a new engine has alot of metal particles from everything breaking in, so you REALLY want to get rid of it.

Ok. However can you keep re-using the oil by filtering out all the particles?

Filter change with each oil change - always. After you see the oil that comes out of a fresh rebuild, there's no way you'll want to keep it in there any longer than nessacary. The first drain looks metallic and shiny.
    The filter does remove alot, but keep changing it because it gets loaded up with lots of crap.
    This is kinda another reason to use dino oil for the initial run-in - it's cheap. You could probably switch to synth after the cam break-in, but that's going to run up the bill...
    The biggest advantage of synthetic is protection at high temps, and you're going to be taking it easy while breaking the motor in (right?) so the regular oil really shouldn't have any problem. It's for those long WOT blasts uphill later that you'll want the synthetic.

Ok sounds good... now i found this article on breaking in engines... I found it very interesting and i read it all the way through. Physics tells me this guy is right on the money, and so does the results he shows. However im still wondering why on earth the manufacturers would lead you astray, i would have to say they do because there is a difference between a rebuild and a new engine. Check it out, thanks!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Yea, my dad always said pretty much the same thing when I was growing up...He used to drive a dedicated run from Stockton, CA to Merced, OR every day in his Peterbilt. Whenever his company got a new truck, they'd have him drive it for the break in, since his was a long flat drive followed by a mild uphill followed by a tough uphill. He'd stop along the way and check everything out and change oil and such, and his trucks always seemed to have more power than the ones that just idled for break in...I dunno, I was just a kid when he was doing all this, but my memory says that his trucks ran stronger than the others I rode in...

TorqueInc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

do not break it in on synthetic oil

use Rotella or some other oil that still contains at least a little zinc
    What i use with complete sucess is kendall 30 weight and some GM EOS

do not use a fram filter

wix,napa,hastings seem to work best and were running the K&N filter on a couple street cars to see how they hold up.
    Will cut apart a filter and see whats there.

once you have the engine broke

Mobil 1
    amsoil
    Shaffers syn blend
    Emro (if you can get it)
    Redline
    Royal Purple

For some reason cadillacs dont seem to do well with castrol synthetic

also replace the stock aluminum housed oil pump with a Melling replacement.

uba40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi Guys,

Been busy for a while, and the rest of the summer is pretty booked as well.

Worked on the Cad today, preparing for about a 1500 mile trip, hauling a heavy trailer gross vehicle weight prox 11,000 to 12,000 lbs.....................

Anyways,

About the breakin recommended by the Moto something site......... this guy is right on!!!!

In 1967 I bought a Brand New Austin Cooper S. When I drove it off the show room floor, my wife and I headed straight for the mountains. I thrashed that car for a solid 3 or 4 hours. Through all the gears, backed it off using the engine unless brakes were needed, essentially doing exactly what you would have read on that site.

Results:

It was a rocket...........

Other guys who had bought theirs at the same time "just knew I had changed the cam, and installed larger valves" I could literally walk from any of them, including some professionally modified cars. That Cooper S was one of the fastest S's around. Today, nearly 40 years later, the old geezers who remember it, still want to know what I had done to that car to make it so fast. I tell them it was the break-in method, and what I did........... They still do not believe, Ah, Well!!

Since that experience, I have broken in virtually every fresh engine I have ever had nearly the same way.

Believe him....................

He is absolutely right "in my most humble opinion"

Still have same wife, wish I still had the car too!!

Regards,

uba40

OH, and the original reason I read the thread was of the synthetic question.

A close friend of mine just returned from an extended trip. While he was away he stopped at a firm which did destructive testing for all the major auto manufacturers, AND some extremely large fleets.

The engines which arrive there, are run into the ground. They are trash, blown up, garbage, junk, when the testing is done. And they get paid very well to do this.

The results are as follows.

Use any brand of petro oil you please. If the viscosity matches the use for your application, the brand name does not matter. If the API rating matches your needs, the stuff which is $1.29 a quart is as good as the $2.89 a quart stuff!!!

OK enuff for the petro side.............

He said the synthetics, real value was a longevity benefit (mostly) fewer oil changes.

The last thing he said was that if he were to choose a brand which was better than the others, he would choose Lucas Synthetic, but he added the difference was minimal.

So, there ya go.............

I have personally always preferred Valvoline............. now I think I'll prefer cheap!!

Regards,

uba40

p.s... Just pass'n it on Don't own ANY oil company nor Lucas stock. I am not in the automotive business at all, I am an enthusiast, JUST LIKE YOU

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Quote Originally Posted by uba40
    [font=Comic Sans MS]
    Worked on the Cad today, preparing for about a 1500 mile trip, hauling a heavy trailer gross vehicle weight prox 11,000 to 12,000 lbs.....................
    Damn, what are you towing that with? A Cadillac or a truck with a Caddy motor in it?

Dave,

I thought I had it in my profile thingy!!!!!!!!

Yup, 1966 Ford F-100 Longbed Truck.

Combined weight with Swap meet trailer bout 13,500

with same trailer but traveling to Bonneville with only scooters bout 12,000

with car trailer and cars etc. bout 15,000 to 16,000.........

The Ford Truck Enthusiast site can't stand the idea that I'm not running a 460 Ford. AND, I would except, the mileage sucks, it's more expensive, and it is not reeadily available!!

I have outpulled Ford Turbo Diesels, and Dodge Cummins trrucks loaded about the same as I am............................ pass Chevies like a rock!!!

Ya outta see the looks on those guys faces when an old geezer, with an almost 40 year old truck outpulls them on a long steep grade

PRICELESS!!

Anyways, just had a minute ot two, and thought I'd get the oil info off to all of you.

uba40

Quote Originally Posted by uba40
    Use any brand of petro oil you please. If the viscosity matches the use for your application, the brand name does not matter. If the API rating matches your needs, the stuff which is $1.29 a quart is as good as the $2.89 a quart stuff!!!

OK enuff for the petro side.............

He said the synthetics, real value was a longevity benefit (mostly) fewer oil changes.
    [/color][/font]
    I agree about the conventional oil. There is so little difference between them all, even the cheapo brands.

I like the heat-handling capability of the synthetics. I see less pressure drop with Mobil 1 than I used to see with dino oil after hard driving.
    My father also recently bought a Saab 9-3. It has a turbo motor, and the dealer said the turbo motors are supposed to only get synthetic. If that's not a high-heat application, I don't know what is...

haha when you say you "thrashed" your Cooper... what exactly do you mean? I can thrash a car pretty bad, i would hate to overdo anything to this beautiful machine...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.