Swap Time!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Swap Time! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; OK, I've been bitten by the big cube bug. I have a 64 Pontiac LeMans Convt that needs a heart ...
    old school is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Swap Time!

OK, I've been bitten by the big cube bug. I have a 64 Pontiac LeMans Convt that needs a heart transplant real bad.

The car has a 214 ci "engine" and a close ratio Muncie 4-speed. This should be the same swap as a Chevelle or any other mid 60's mid-size. I have a sbc sitting in the garage, but I really don't want to put it in. I've been burned on the Pontiac sites because I'm not putting a Pontiac engine in a Pontiac car.

Frankly I'm not concerned with the "rules". This car is for fun not for winning a concourse event. Rat Fink sticker on the glove box and a fake bullet hole in one of the dents. Rules are for the other guy.

Which gets me back to the question.

I want to keep the 4-speed. Does anyone know what it would take to mate a 500ci to a Muncie. Automatic is not an option.

This car is being built as if it was an old street fighter. You know, sitting a little high, dual exhaust through glasspacks, 4-speed, 4-barrel, dog dish hubcaps on steel wheels, you get the picture,...old school. I'm not going to be racing it so I won't need the heavy duty parts or performance packages. Bone stock would be alright.

I've been to several sites with no luck. I find it hard to believe that this hasn't been done before.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Jim

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Here is a site for you to look at.
    There's some info there somewhere about mating a Big Cadillac to a manual tranny.

Re: Swap Time!

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    Here is a site for you to look at.
    There's some info there somewhere about mating a Big Cadillac to a manual tranny.

Ouch!, I was really hoping I could do this without too much machining!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by old school
    Ouch!, I was really hoping I could do this without too much machining!

Jim
    Actually, according to that site, machining is not necessary. Just drill the center of the crank and install the bushing.
    You'll need a bellhousing and flywheel that'll work with the Caddy too. The flywheel should be a bolt on. I'm not sure about the bell though.

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    Actually, according to that site, machining is not necessary. Just drill the center of the crank and install the bushing.
    You'll need a bellhousing and flywheel that'll work with the Caddy too. The flywheel should be a bolt on. I'm not sure about the bell though.
    OK, say I get brave and take a hand drill to my crank....

What flywheel is a bolt on. A big block GM? or an aftermarket? I have found a site that sells an adapter for the bell so I don't think that would be a problem.

As for motor mounts, are there any bolt-ins, or adapters that you may be aware of? Would it be similar to the mounts on your truck?

Jim

Maximum Torque Specialties (MTS) has the flywheel that you need. I believe the tooth count for the Caddy is unique therefore other flywheels won't work.
    MTS also has different motor mount set-ups....I'm not sure which one you would need though.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.