368 oil pan on a 472
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 368 oil pan on a 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm going to install a 368 rear sump oil pan on a 472 so that I can stuff it in ...
    bobbyt is offline Cadillac Owners Member

368 oil pan on a 472

I'm going to install a 368 rear sump oil pan on a 472 so that I can stuff it in my 49 ford truck. I have heard rumors about the 368 pan hitting the crank on the 472. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks all
    Bobby

I worked as a mechanic for Cadillac back in the 80's, I was a driveability tech. The mid to late 80's were a bad time for Caddy (heck, it was a bad time for american cars in general). I always loved the big 472/500's, what a great engine. Super tough, super torque, comparatively lightweight, decent economy, how can you go wrong?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 368 oil pan on a 472

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyt
    I'm going to install a 368 rear sump oil pan on a 472 so that I can stuff it in my 49 ford truck. I have heard rumors about the 368 pan hitting the crank on the 472. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks all
    Bobby

I worked as a mechanic for Cadillac back in the 80's, I was a driveability tech. The mid to late 80's were a bad time for Caddy (heck, it was a bad time for american cars in general). I always loved the big 472/500's, what a great engine. Super tough, super torque, comparatively lightweight, decent economy, how can you go wrong?
    There are issues with the fit of the pick up tube on one of the 368 pans but I'm not sure which pan.........I think it's the fwd pan....? Anyhow, you may have to modify the pick up tube to make it work.

Thanks
    When I got the pan from the wrecking yard I got the pick up tube also. Since it all came from the same engine I'm guessing it will fit. Hopefully I'll get some time this week to try it all out.

Bobby

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Good luck man.

mark48 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Dear Bobby: I installed a 1980 368 oil pan on my 1970-472. But because I put the motor in a 1980 Fleetwood Brougham, I had to use that pan -with mid-sump- to clear the cross member. I used the 80 - 368 pickup but I had to modify it substantially; cut,weld,bend, and then check distance from the bottom of the pan. Not an easy job, but the crank does not hit, and the engine runs fine.Good Luck.

Just an update. I removed my midsump pan and cleaned all the old gasket material off the block. I installed the rear sump 368 pan and pick up tube and cranked the engine around by hand. Good news!! there was no interference at all! What a relief. I did have to move the dipstick tube to the rear hole but that was all.
    I had heard horror stories where people have had to beat the heck out of these pans or use double gaskets to get them to clear.
    I needed the rear sump to clear the front axle and steering on my 49 Ford F1. Hopefully I can get it all bolted back together with new gaskets this week and get it installed in the truck.

Thanks,
    Bobby

Don East is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 95 seville

Bobby, it's been several years. Are you still out there. How did the pan switch work out in the long run?
    Don

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Hey Don
    I have a 368 oil pan on a 472... The only mod I had to make was bend the tab and drill a new hole on the pick-up tube... the tab that bolts to a main bearing cap,the cap is bigger on a 472, has to be refit... I did this ten years ago and all is fine and still running...The stroke is the same on the 368 and 472 so nothing can hit like putting a 472 or 425 pan on a 500

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.