Transmissions (?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Transmissions (?) in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I want to put my 1975 500ci in a Jag and really want to use a manual transmission. Has anybody ...
    lead sled is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Transmissions (?)

I want to put my 1975 500ci in a Jag and really want to use a manual transmission.

Has anybody mated a manual trans to a Cadilliac engine? I have solved the bolt pattern issuse just want to determine which manual trans to use that will hold up to daily driving. No plans to race at this time.

Also thouht about using and 4l80E to get the overdrive. Does anybody know where I could get a control box to control a 4l80E?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Re: Transmissions (?)

Some diesel powered vehicles used the 4L80-E and if you can find one in a junkyard you can pick up the trans. controller for pretty cheap.

Caddycarlo has a manual:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/caddyc...addycarlo.html

lead sled is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Does anybody know what manual Caddycarlo uses. His web page make reference to a built TH400, and a manual trans bushing but doesn't go into detal about the manual set up. I tried to email him with my questions, but have yet to hear from him.

Any suggestions.

On the 4L80E, is the transmission controled by the ECM for the engine or does it have its own controller? How does the controller work, does it interface with the engine ECM or is is a stand alone with its own sensors?

Thanks wayne

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

As far as I know 4L80-Es are usually controlled by the PCM, but the diesels have a seperate controller.

homeskilletussr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

thats true about the separate controller

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

How heavy is the Jag?
    Basically, the lighter the vehicle, the deeper gears you have, and less traction all make it easier on the transmission by reducing the load.
    Particularly, having street tires is easier on the tranny because you'll just break them loose and spin. Just remember that when you get tempted to put slicks on!

I have also heard of lots of people getting around with Richmond Gear 5 and 6-speeds who have more than the 450hp/lb*ft that those trannies are rated for. These are also on street cars, so that's probably how they manage. The Caddy is heavier on the torque side than most other engines though, so I would be leary of those options.

I know Tremec makes a version of their TKO 5-sp tranny that is rated to 650lb*ft or so. That sounds up to a street Caddy engine.
    There are also places out there that advertise T56's build to take monster power. There have been a few places recently come out with upgraded internals for those to make them live behind big motors.
    There certainly are the trannies out there to take the power, but they aren't going to be cheap. As long as you are expecting that, you shouldn't have to resort to an auto.

If you do decide to go the slushbox route though, look up PTS I think it is. They build up 200-R4's for the turbo Buick people. Yeah, those trannies were nowhere near up to a Caddy from the factory, but I know of a guy running one of their trannies behind a 540ci big block Chevy with a Vortech blower on it. If their trannies hold up to that, and to 9 and 10 second passes behind a monster turbo motor in Buick Regals (and we're talking cars with full interior, AC in some cases ~3500#) then I think they ought to hold up to a Caddy that isn't too crazy. Plus, the 200-R4 has the right bellhousing bolt pattern to fit up to a Caddy. (The 4L80E requires an adapter plate)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.