my 425 is pretty dirty inside..... - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, my 425 is pretty dirty inside..... in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I always change the oil filter. Well, I have put 6k miles on the car since I bought it, and ...
    Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

Re: my 425 is pretty dirty inside.....

I always change the oil filter.

Well, I have put 6k miles on the car since I bought it, and the 425 gets a work out

My '89 Oldsmobile, 3800 V6, when i look in the valve covers it has a light coating of grime and stuff, also has 130k miles, I guess the oil wasn't changed as much as it should have been.

the '93 DeVille, now with 103k is sparkling clean inside... nothing but shiney metal, I believe the oil was changed according to the oil life monitor... atleast, If so, then that alone shows that the oil life monitor does its thing by telling you to change the oil before it gets to bad levels.

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Alright, I'm prepared for the "you're crazy" comments, but here's what I did to all 4 (2 1977's a 1978 and a 1979) of my Sedan DeVilles with the 425.

Every 12,000 miles I put a 1/2 quart of trans fluid in the oil, drive the car 150-200 miles and change the oil. DO NOT LEAVE THE TRANS FLUID IN FOR MORE THAN 2 DAYS! Cleans, makes the old seals swell a bit, quiets sticky lifters...What more could you want? I did that to one car that had 190,000 when I bought it, I ran 80,000 more miles. I sold that car 17 years ago and the old fart I sold it to still drives it, still does the trans fluid and it still runs the original motor. The car is a friggin wreck, but it still runs! I don't change oil that often about every 6,000 miles, and I dump Chemtool or trans fluid through the carb about every 12,000 miles. Hey, it cleans and protects!

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Trans fluid kicks a$$. Every 6 months pour a slow stream into the carbonator with the hot engine running at 2KRPM. Keeps all the valves free of carbon and the idle nice. Also keeps the catalyst working if it isn't too far gone. Great when the neighbors are having a picnic.

bryan1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe deville

i tried the ATF when i first got my car (1978 coupe deville w/425) becasue the lifters were and still are noisy. but it didn't do a thing. i ran the engine on all ATF for like an hour, just let it idle. then i drianed it and changed the filter and put oil back in it and it was still the same. should i have done something diffrent or do y'all think i just have bad lifters? i have put about 10K with the noisy lifters since i have owned the car w/o any problems so i figure don't fix what isn't broke.....yet. but if i could get them to quiet down that would make it really easy to sell, whcih i plan on doing this summer.

Caddy112 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I would say you need to run Tranny fluid or Marvel Mystery Oil in the engine for a lot longer one hour. Use the car for a few days or a week, I ran mine for 1000 miles like that, read my post above. It took a while to clean them out. In my opinion, unless you're in a hot climate, I don't think the thinner oil mixture will hurt anything in the short term.

uba40 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Hi,

Just a quick note to confirm what KJC stated.

A buddy of mine, who was a machinist at an automotive machine shop told me the following.

Always check the big Cads for oil drainback problems in the heads. He said they frequently clog up, AND, you will be left with a large amount of oil in the head/valve cover when you shut it down.

Result!! Large puff of smoke sometimes when you restart the engine, AND oil starvation during long high speed runs, because the oil is stuck up in the valve covers!!!

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH.

Regards,

uba40

Koooop is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): A Truck with an LS2 Truck motor

Quote Originally Posted by bryan1970
    i tried the ATF when i first got my car (1978 coupe deville w/425) becasue the lifters were and still are noisy. but it didn't do a thing. i ran the engine on all ATF for like an hour, just let it idle. then i drianed it and changed the filter and put oil back in it and it was still the same. should i have done something diffrent or do y'all think i just have bad lifters? i have put about 10K with the noisy lifters since i have owned the car w/o any problems so i figure don't fix what isn't broke.....yet. but if i could get them to quiet down that would make it really easy to sell, whcih i plan on doing this summer.
    You need to leave the trans fluid in for two days and drive the car a couple of hundred miles. Do not leave ATF in there for more than two days.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.