Air cleaner?????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Air cleaner????? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I was looking to replace the stock air cleaner on my '76 eldorado with an edelbrock chrome round ...
    terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Air cleaner?????

Hey guys,

I was looking to replace the stock air cleaner on my '76 eldorado with an edelbrock chrome round air cleaner. Firstly, do any of these series fit the quadrajet on this engine? And if so, would I need to tweak anything else to accomodate for the better airflow?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Air cleaner?????

Okay, I think I found one that fits here http://www.martelbrothers.com/custom...cat=642&page=1

Sorry about not using hyperlinks, the computer is really messed up.

Does that look good? Is the 14 inch too big? It says it fits quadrajets....

Thanks for all of the input.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You'll have to measure to be sure.

Most air cleaners will fit the 5 1/8" flange but where you really need to be concerned is with the height......between the top of the air cleaner and the bottom of the hood.

Edelbrocks web site may have the info you need for getting the proper measurments.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The problem is that the AC compressor is going to hit any aircleaner housing that is not high compared to the carb. A high air cleaner might interfere with the hood as mentioned.

So, not high enough, and I have a problem with the AC compressor. Too high, and I have problems with the hood...hmm

Edelbrocks website says it has a 3" element. What does that mean? height?

EDIT: Okay I got it. The element is the filter, right? I got all of the heights for both 14" models and the 10" model (too small?). Will do some measuring and comparison with the stock air cleaner today.

Spyder is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): None now...1972 Challenger=my pride and joy.

Measure the bottom of your current air cleaner assembly...buy one that is the same diameter and just use the chrome top and a good looking element in it...unless the bottoms one of those ugly things that sticks up halfway around the whole affair...my old dodge, the bottom of my new aircleaner wouldn't fit, so I used the bottom off of the old one and it worked perfectly...blind luck...and you can't see the bottom piece of the aircleaner assembly anyways...good luck!

the thing about using the bottom of the other one is this...it uses the "tube" and hose to get air. The Edelbrock version is open all around for better airflow. I'm almost certain it is a 14" diameter, but will check anyways. What is an element?

If the measuring of the stock cleaner turns up a diam. of 14 inches, and a height of at least 3-3/4 inches (the height of the cleaner I am looking ot put in), then I should be set, right?

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    the thing about using the bottom of the other one is this...it uses the "tube" and hose to get air. The Edelbrock version is open all around for better airflow. I'm almost certain it is a 14" diameter, but will check anyways. What is an element?

If the measuring of the stock cleaner turns up a diam. of 14 inches, and a height of at least 3-3/4 inches (the height of the cleaner I am looking ot put in), then I should be set, right?
    Not necessarily......some air cleaners, for clearence purposes, have what is called a "drop-base". That means that the bottom section of the air cleaner assembly actually drops down over the carb for more clearence on the top side. You will need an air cleaner with the same drop (if there is any) to get the same height and underhood clearence as the factory air cleaner. If it's too tall, it'll hit the hood.

The element is the actual air filter itself.

Yea, that's what I thought after I had typed that...I figured it was probably one of the dropped ones that uses a snorkel of some kind to bring in air...if I did a decent job of explaining what I tried, and you can visualize it in your head, you may still be able to make something work along those lines...I can't think of what my '72 aircleaner looks like...and its parked fifty miles away...

Yeah, it has a bit of a drop. I guess I'll do some measuring today. Hopefully I can make this work. Anyone have their doubts?

Night Wolf is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Unicycle

When I put the 14" Edelbrock open element on my '79 DeVille, I had to add 1.5" of spacers to just barely get it to clear the AC compressor. You also need a new wing nut and tread kit.

It won't have any problem clearing the compressor, I already looked. The stock one is 15", so this one will actually be a bit smaller.

When you say wing nut and tread kit, I am guessing that you mean the threaded part sticking out of my Q-jet. Where can I get one of these kits?

Any parts store should have them...or if you want, just get a threaded dowl that is the right size and use a hacksaw or a grinder to make it the right length, and use any wingnut...just don't let the hacksaw slip and gouge the hell out of your forearm, leaving a small scar that looks kinda like a slit wrist...don't ask

So I could probably find one at Autozone or so, or online. Or I could go down the the local hardware store and find a threded dowl and a wingnut to go with it, right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.