- 11-13-13 11:30 PM #1Cadillac Owners Fanatic
- Automobile(s): 1970 Deville Convertible
- Join Date
- Oct 2012
- North Texas
Let's talk engine numbers - VIN stamps on blocks
1970 472 in a De Ville. So I talked to MTS and Cad Company today. One tells me there was not a VIN stamped on the block from the factory. One tells me the engines were stamped by 7 year old girls at the factory, meaning sometimes you can see the stamp, sometimes you can't, even if the motor is out, clean and on the stand.
For those who know, what's the story on this? VIN stamp or no VIN stamp on engines? The factory service manual says there's one.
- 04-05-15 08:23 PM #2Cadillac Owners Member
- Automobile(s): 1965 Sedan, 1969 convertible, 71 Fleetwood, 74 Coupe
- Join Date
- Apr 2008
- LEWES, SUSSEX, UK
Re: Let's talk engine numbers - VIN stamps on blocks
Just found this thread. There is a shortened version of the VIN number on the back of mine, next to the oil sender unit is the casting number, next to that is the vin number, stamped into the metal. I found this today and it shows the engine in mine is not the original engine.
Red ring is Casting number, Yellow is Vin number.[IMG][/IMG]
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- Power Service Products Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost - Diesel Fuel Treatment
Diesel Fuel Treatment - 1:400 Treatment Ratio; Treats Up To 250 Gallons; 80 Oz.
- Car-Freshner Little Trees - Air Freshener
Air Freshener - Passion; 3 Pak
- Mechanix Wear - Winter Impact Glove
Winter Impact Glove - Winter Impact Glove X-Large