1976 eldorado engine rebuild
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1976 eldorado engine rebuild in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I am rebuilding my 500 engine and one of the things I will be doing is installing an MT #5 ...
    davidp1561 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1976 eldorado convertible

1976 eldorado engine rebuild

I am rebuilding my 500 engine and one of the things I will be doing is installing an MT #5 cam from MTS. This is one step above the base or factory spec cam. My question is will I need to reprogram my ecu for this cam?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: 1976 eldorado engine rebuild

Your ECU is not reprogrammable.

One thing you can do is get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and increase the pressure a few percent.

Otherwise there are aftermarket fuel system$ which can take advantage of the cam.

Thank you sir for the information!

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Another thing I heard of some guys doing was wire in a variable resistor in place of the temp sensor so by telling it was still cool it would richen it up by the dial of the resistor..

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Quote Originally Posted by drmenard View Post
    Another thing I heard of some guys doing was wire in a variable
    resistor in place of the temp sensor so by telling it was still cool it would richen it up by the dial
    of the resistor..
    A 76 EFI system has a rather simple minded curve, completely open loop, and with no ignition
    control at all. But it is not true, that it can't be retuned. Varying one resistor can shift the
    amount of fuel (injector pulse width) to match a different displacement, or breathing. I have
    already done this multiple times making 350 ECUs run 403s. Easy to do while driving.

Changing the temp sensor resistance is a very poor approach to the issue. This was well
    demonstrated when comparing the methods on the Maidment Haverhill car project. This
    adapted a 350 EFI to a highly modified 403. I don't have the details on my PHOTOBUCKET
    just yet. Bruce Roe

70eldo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1970 Eldorado.

Why do a rebuild and use a different cam? It will require a lot of other fine tuning which makes the project unnecessarily complex, without getting noticable gain. Unless you want a lot of gain for racing I would stick to the original setup to have like-new state of engine which will give you plenty of performance to cruise.

Well according to the guys at MTS the cam I would like to use wont require anything like that. I can use the factory valve train etc. It's one step up from the basic factory type cam. I know I am taking what they say on faith since I am not a mechanic but MTS seems to know their stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.