Code 25 on a 81 Eldorado V-8-6-4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Code 25 on a 81 Eldorado V-8-6-4 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; First let me say thanks for this great board. Lots of invaluable information here. My grandmother passed away a few ...
    cap11 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Code 25 on a 81 Eldorado V-8-6-4

First let me say thanks for this great board. Lots of invaluable information here.

My grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and left me her 81 Eldorado Biarritz. The car has been driven very little in the last two years. I have done several small maintenance things to it (plugs, wires, oil and filter). I am going to replace the fuel filter next. It has 88,000 miles on it.

Now on to my real question. This car has the V-8-6-4 engine. After running the diagnostic program I get a code 25 (modulated displacement failure). I know a lot of V-8-6-4 cars had a wire from the transmission cut to force the engine to run in 8 cyl mode all the time. I do not know if my car has had this done or not. Where would I need to look to find this out?

I assume that this car has not had the V-8-6-4 disabled because, when I first crank the car up it runs in 8 cyl mode with no check engine light. However as soon as I go maybe a 1/4 mile and slightly let off the gas, the car tries to go to 4 cyl and I can feel a slight hesitation. The active cylinder display very breifly changes to 4 on the MPG sentinel. At that time the check engine light comes on and the active cylinder display changes back to 8. After the check engine light comes on it will never try to switch to 4 or 6 cylinders again until the car is restarted. It does this same thing every time without fail. In fact I have never seen it try to switch to 6 cylinder mode at all.

One of my main reasons for wanting to clear the check engine light is so that my cruise control will work. I was told that the check engine light is what was probably causing the cruise control not to work. Also can anyone tell me how much the actual MPG would increase if I could get the V-8-6-4 to work properly vs. just running with 8 cylinders all the time?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

STS 310 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1996 STS

Re: Code 25 on a 81 Eldorado V-8-6-4

It is still connected. Dont know what or where the wire is, but it is not hard to get to according to members.

I had an 81 that I had got from grandmother as well. I got it with that function disabled as it was troublesome after just 2 years old.

Thanks STS, sounds like my best bet is to disconnect the variable displacement. Does anyone know the procedure for doing this? I have been told that I need to disconnect a black wire from the tranny by one person and I was told to disconnect an orange wire by my local dealership (but he said he wasn't completely sure).

To the people that have already done this, do you still get a check engine light? I wouldn't think so but I just want to verify. I miss my cruise control and I would really like to have it back.

Is there anyone out there that would think I should try and repair that variable displacement? I would prefer that it did work but I'm curious how much it really improved fuel economy when working properly. With the current cost of gas this may really be beneficial.

Ok I have an update for anyone who is interested. While cleaning up the engine today, I found two seperate wire harnesses that had came unplugged. Both of these were located on top of the valve covers. I plugged these back in and took it for a spin and sure enough the variable displacement worked as it should.

The check engine light did not come on, however my cruise control still didn't work. Oh well, something else to tinker with.

By the way when the engine shifts to 4 and 6 cylinders the loss of power is quite noticeble and I get a lot of "clatter" that I don't get when it is running on 8 cylinders. The "clatter" noise sounds kind of like an exhaust leak but I would think that it would make this noise when it is running on 8 cylinders also, so I guess it must be something else??

Also if anyone knows which wire I need to unplug to force the engine to stay running on 8 cylinders, please let me know.

wpgresh is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I need to disconnect my variable volume. Can you help me? (81 Seville 8-6-4-)
    wpgresh@atlanticbb.net

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

You want to remove the 3rd gear switch wire. This switch is located inside the transmission and works exactly like an oil pressure idiot lamp switch. When the trans is in 3rd gear the switch will make a connection to ground. I have no idea where the plug would be located on a FWD car but the RWD cars had a 2 terminal plug right above the trans pan on the side of the trans. If you look around the plug will appear. If it has more than 1 terminal then pull it out and take the car for a ride with an Ohmmeter hooked to one terminal on the trans and chassis ground. The terminal that makes a connection when you hit 3rd gear is the one that you want to disconnect to eliminate 8/6/4. It will not set a code when you disconnect the wire. Some people have used a toggle switch for this. A shop manual would save all the guesswork here.

Thanks Ape Man . ...Your information worked. You helped a lot.

wpgresh@atlanticbb.net

Thanks Ape Man . ...The information you gave worked just fine. You helped a lot. I pulled the plug and the 8-6-4 function was disabled

wpgresh@atlanticbb.net

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Glad to have helped. Now, where exactly was the plug and how many spade terminals or wires does it have?

7-17-05

Ape Man … The plug is on top of the transmission housing almost directly under the brake master cylinder. … single contact … just pull it off … black plastic covering is misleading … there are only 2 wires … black and orange.

Now I still have my electrical problem:

1. Interior courtesy lights do not come on.
    2. Under dash courtesy lights come on when brake pedal is depressed and they flash when turn signal is turned on.
    3. Electric door locks will not work when door is opened.
    4. Car runs normal with 8-6-4 disconnected.

I may find more information to add later. … Thanks, … wpgresh@atlanticbb.net (Bill)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.