Puttting a '66 motor into a '68 Car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Puttting a '66 motor into a '68 Car in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hoping for a little help. I have a really rough 66 SDV with a super solid drivetrain.I just recently purchased ...
    Jeremy6668 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1966 Sedan, 1968 Sedan, have had several others

Puttting a '66 motor into a '68 Car

Hoping for a little help. I have a really rough 66 SDV with a super solid drivetrain.I just recently purchased a 68 SDV with a blown (hole in block) 472 but the car is Immaculate. I am a 24 year old college student and im just not in the position to rebuild the 472 at this time, but plan to keep it and do so in the future. A understand my 429 is a different build design and some modifications will be necessary, but is this still possible to do, or more importantly, a realistic idea to swap my healthy 429 into a 472 car. I've seen a lot of people do the opposite, but no one go about it quite like this.. any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Re: Puttting a '66 motor into a '68 Car

I believe both cars have a TH400 transmission, a big help. But the 429 and 472
    have different patterns, so you need to also transfer the transmission to match up.
    If the tail is a different length, it is possible to change out those parts.
    Bruce Roe

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Bruce , And did you forget to say the 66 is a switch pitch transmission? We all love that transmission.. Dave Menard

Thanks for the heads-up about the tail shaft, I'll have to look into that. Im also concerned about not having motor/trans mounts that will work and if the crossmember could be different? Any ideas guys?? Thanks in advance!

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I would see if there was any interest in that '66 engine. I think they are fairly hard to find and somebody might jump on it. If somebody wanted to buy it, then you could look for a 472 that will drop right in.

I don't think your original plan would be that hard, even if you had to change frame mounts. They could be the same for all I know. I would try to hang onto that 66 trans and use it if possible. It doesn't cost that much to get a driveshaft cut or extended if needed.

Alright.i think I'm going to pursue it then to the best of my ability. Does anyone know if my front sump oil pan on my 429 will cause me any issues to drop it in?

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Please don't talk about cutting driveshafts. If the tail section/shaft are different
    lengths, just swap them, the lessor evil in my opinion. Then everything regarding the
    trans is a direct bolt in. Note that 3 wire switch on the 429, connected to the trans, a
    68 doesn't have it. If a trans with a different length tail is put in a car, you also will
    be changing the position of the trans support, which could affect other things.

Bruce Roe

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.