V8-6-4 findings
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, V8-6-4 findings in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; For all the talk about doing this mod, I'm wondering if I'm the first one to actually get out and ...
    BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

V8-6-4 findings

For all the talk about doing this mod, I'm wondering if I'm the first one to actually get out and pull the parts...

First off, this WILL NOT be a drop-in install, at least not on a 425/472/500 motor. The 368's, at least the 81's do not have the T-pedastal that us 425/472/500ci guys are used to seeing. I suppose we could call it a U-pedastal - there's a single U-shaped piece for each cylinder's rockers, with a bolt going down through each rockers pivot.

In regards to the guy with the motorhome where the previous owner said he'd put the V864 on the Olds 455. I looked in an old Chiltons manual I have, and the 368ci rocker assembley looks alot like the Olds setup, so it might be a drop-in on those engines.

Anyways, back to Cadillacs...

There is some light at the end of the tunnel though. After comparing both rockers, They both use the same rocker ratio, and the same distance from the pivot to the valvestem. The rocker cup on the 368 might be a bit higher up from the 472 rocker though.
    Both of the rocker pedastal assembleys also put the rocker pivot the same distance above the mount, and the pushrods are the same between the two motors.
    It looks like this would be do-able if one could have some kind of adapter plate made to mount the rockers on.
    Because the mounting surface is the same level on each style, the convenient hole for the 472's T-pedastals could NOT be used for this.
    I'm thinking that the head bolts could be used to hold this bracket down, but this would require longer head bolts. It's either that, or drill and tap the head casting. The trouble with some kind of bracket is that the mounting surface for the pedastals would have to be angled to match the pedastal mount. Does anyone know what the valve angle on these motors is for that?

I'm definately going to try and do this. Probably mostly this summer after finals and all, but I'm open to suggestions (unless it is to give up )

Oh, and there was another '81 in the junkyard when I was there. Anyone else interested in a set of rockers? I dunno if I'll be back there too soon, but if it's still there, I can pull them pretty quick.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kjc
    kjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: V8-6-4 findings

Could you post some pictures of the V8-6-4 setup? I've never seen one.

Here's a link to a previous thread that discussed this subject in some detail: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=16524

Well, here's some pics. I set my camera to its lowest size, so hopefully they aren't too big for anyone. I took a pic of the regular rockers, and the solenoid-controlled ones.

Second two pics you can see how the solenoid unhinges the rocker - when the solenoid engages, it rotates the upper part of that cylinder ontop of the rockers. With it rotated, the 'windows' line up with projections on the lower part of the cylinder, allowing the pivot point of the rocker to rise instead of opening the valve.

I wish I'd found that thread first, just had read this one http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=29636. Oh well, I still want to try and get this to work, and it only cost me a few bucks for all the hardware.

Anyone got any pics of how Potters stud mounted rocker system (mentioned in the other thread) mounts to the heads?
    Attached Images

kjc
    kjc is offline Cadillac Owners Member

http://www.cadillacperformanceparts....04ab256b54.jpg

Here's a link to the picture on Potter's website, I didn't want to post it here because it's pretty big. The thick steel plate bolts to the mounting pads for the original rocker "T" posts, but the pads must have 3/8" milled off (the thickness of the plate) for the system to mount properly, which is not a big deal, almost any machine shop could do it.

Sweet, that's perfect. Just have to call them and see if I could just the plate with the proper size drilled and tapped holes. Or just make my own...

Not only would the V864 setup get better mileage on the highway, but it would also eliminate the 425/472/500ci's stock disaster of a valvetrain.
    Looking at the 368 valvetrain, it really looks like there wouldn't be any stability problems, at least to as high a redline as the bottom end is capable of.

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

So have you ever been successful in getting this to work? If you could let me know I would appreciate it because I am very interested in running this type of setup. - Justin

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Quote Originally Posted by kjc
    http://www.cadillacperformanceparts....04ab256b54.jpg

Here's a link to the picture on Potter's website, I didn't want to post it here because it's pretty big. The thick steel plate bolts to the mounting pads for the original rocker "T" posts, but the pads must have 3/8" milled off (the thickness of the plate) for the system to mount properly, which is not a big deal, almost any machine shop could do it.
    A set of those babys ought to be arriving at my door sometime this week

Fleetwood472 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 78 Fleetwood w/ FI 472/ Switch pitch TH400

Does anyone have this solenoid and rocker setup that they want to sell? I am going to try and run this on my 472. I am going to call potter and see if I can get a moly bar for it. If I am able to get these parts I will post details on the setup. - Justin

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

^^Please do. I might do the same thing to my 75 when I get it setup as a daily driver..

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

That sure will be interesting if it works.

rolingcoffe is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Seville STS

Hey, i've got a fully working v8-6-4 that i'd be willing to part out pretty cheaply...especially for a project this crazy

32V_DOHC is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I am also looking for a set. I would need valve covers, rocker assy, soleniods, etc. Email me at johnegoodman@hotmail.com.

Thanks

John

cadillacdeville is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

what kind of MPG gains could you expect with the 8-6-4 on a 425 or 472?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.