Exhaust manifold leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jukelemon
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Exhaust manifold leak in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well, lifters and new rockers are in. Quieted that piece of the puzzle. Now on to the exhaust leak. Driver's ...
    jukelemon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1968 Deville Convertible

Exhaust manifold leak

Well, lifters and new rockers are in. Quieted that piece of the puzzle.

Now on to the exhaust leak.

Driver's side has a very bad leak. Took it to a good shop and they confirmed.

They want 300 to fix the leak (gasket), replace both Y gaskets and check/fix if necessary the heat valve.

Question is this..

Should I just go buy some headers?

I will NOT be hot rodding this engine but for 300.00, I would think I could get some nice headers to go into the stock Y pipe.

The rest of the exhaust is fine i.e. just need the manifolds fixed up.

Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Jason

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

Re: Exhaust manifold leak

Jason

What kind of engine/car is it?

Also, be very aware of the likelihood that one or more
    exhaust manifold bolts will break off in the head. That $300 doesn't take that
    into consideration.
    It is VERY difficult to extract these while in the car; and sometimes impossible without
    removing the head. SO, be prepared to cross that bridge if you hand the car off to that shop. You should be able
    to find stories about this on this and other forums. I had no less than four bolts break off due to rusted away shanks.
    Luckily it was on the stand and the machine shop properly removed them while they were in for the valve job.
    The trouble is
    that the shanks of the bolts rust away, then snap off at the slightest twist of a wrench.
    Also, be very sure it's a gasket issue NOT a cast iron CRACK in the manifold. Very common.

That would be the deciding factor on headers or not.

Sorry. 68 Deville. 472.

I am aware of the issues...I am hoping that does not happen.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Roadmaster is 100% correct. Along with that your engine doesn't have y pipe gaskets at all and didn't come from the factory with exhaust manifold gaskets.

Hi Ape.

I was reading about the lack of gaskets from factory.

However, mine has them in the manifold for sure...you can clearly see them. Cannot comment on the Y pipe other than it sure looks like a gasket to me when I look. Maybe not?

Is it jacked up to have manifold gaskets? Seemed to me (from reading) that it is common to have manifold gaskets on engines that have had work done.

Not sure.

Thanks all.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by jukelemon View Post
    Hi Ape.

I was reading about the lack of gaskets from factory.

However, mine has them in the manifold for sure...you can clearly see them. Cannot comment on the Y pipe other than it sure looks like a gasket to me when I look. Maybe not?

Is it jacked up to have manifold gaskets? Seemed to me (from reading) that it is common to have manifold gaskets on engines that have had work done.

Not sure.

Thanks all.

That's good news as the manifold bolts may not be ancient. I always opt to leave the exhaust manifold gaskets out as god intended.

Still no gaskets in the y pipe.

Got it back.

What a difference. MUCH quieter. Fixing that side (which was very loud) allowed us to hear the PASS side leaks lol. There is a small one on that side.

At some point, studs were put in the head i.e. no more bolts and the mech said the DR side came off pretty easily. Good news.

He said mine was pretty warped and could not be cut down true so he found a used set that was in perfect shape.

I thought about doing the PASS side myself considering this news.

Seems pretty straight forward.

Kind of pisses me off that I chose the Lifters first. In the end, the lifters were fine I guess. It was fun tearing into them/the intake.

That tick was definitely the manifold. Now, I just hear a very small leak and the sound of that muffled big block. I dig it.
    The Ape Man and 70eldo like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.