coolant? how? noob to old cars.. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, coolant? how? noob to old cars.. in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I thought that removing the thermostat was bad because the moving coolant never stayed in the block long enough to ...
    Aaron J Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,89SDV,90 fleet,93 ETC

Re: coolant? how? noob to old cars..

I thought that removing the thermostat was bad because the moving coolant never stayed in the block long enough to have effective heat transfer thus causing the engine to overheat. Am I wrong?

davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

Man I hate it when people say "coolant needs to move slow so the heat has time to transfer." Basic physics dictates otherwise.

Aaron J Williams is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 61 ragtop,2 67 eldos,68 ragtop,68CDV,89SDV,90 fleet,93 ETC

Ok, so I don't know what i'm talking about, that's why i'm here, to learn from you. BTW, if coolant doesn't need to stay in the block for any time before moving on , why do they put thermostats in engines anyway?

It's a very common misconception... read bbobs post here

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...=heat+transfer

it should help clear things up.

bryan1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe deville

i think that the theory one not stat is wrong. basic physics and logic seem to say other wise from my point of view. if the coolant is moving too fast then it just can't absorb as much heat as if it were moving slower. the shorted the time the coolant is in a hot head the less time it will be able to get hot thus not transferring the heat from the block or head or what have you. it'd be just like if you had a hot stove and put a pot on the burner for only a second. the pot would bes till cool enough to touch but if you left it on there for 5 mins you burn your hand if you touched it. and besides they make restricters made to run in race cars to restrict the coolant flow to help slow it down. and if they didn't work they wouldn't sell them.

Quote Originally Posted by bryan1970
    i think that the theory one not stat is wrong. basic physics and logic seem to say other wise from my point of view. if the coolant is moving too fast then it just can't absorb as much heat as if it were moving slower. the shorted the time the coolant is in a hot head the less time it will be able to get hot thus not transferring the heat from the block or head or what have you. it'd be just like if you had a hot stove and put a pot on the burner for only a second. the pot would bes till cool enough to touch but if you left it on there for 5 mins you burn your hand if you touched it. and besides they make restricters made to run in race cars to restrict the coolant flow to help slow it down. and if they didn't work they wouldn't sell them.
    Going with your analogy... if you stick one pot of water on for ten minutes, it will raise 50 degrees. But if you stick ten pots on for one minute at a time the overall heat transfer will be greater.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Thermostats serve two purposes. First, and most important, is maintaining a consistent engine temperature. Without a 'stat, your engine would NEVER get up to temp in winter. Piston rings would never expand to seal properly, bearing tolerances would be loose, etc. Plus, tuning the car to run well would be a pain because the engine wants a different air/fuel mixture at different temps.
    Second, the 'stat builds additional coolant pressure in the block. This raises the boiling point a BUNCH and helps prevent steam pockets forming in hot places like around the exhaust ports and the combustion chambers.

Check out this link - lots of info on cooling systems: http://www.grapeaperacing.com/GrapeA...ingsystems.pdf

bryan1970 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1978 Coupe deville

but your analogy somewhat prooves my point. if you had ten pots of water the mass of the water would be greater than just one pot. and you can't increase the ammount of water that is actually in the water passages. and with ten pots on the stove for one minute each they will be on the stove longer overall than just the one pot for 5 mins. meaning that it would take longer for an engine to get rid of the same amount of heat with out a stat. thus prooving that it takes longer for 10 pots of water to carry away more heat than just the one pot. i see your point that the each of the ten pots would be on the stove for less ammount of time and would carry away less heat per pot. but why have ten pots of water do the same job that just one pot is capable of doing?

i don't know if an agreement can ever be reached with this argument, we may just have to agree to disagree. it's just that from personal experience i ahve found that running an engine with a stat is better than with out. plus i asked a friend that used to build race engines for 20 years, engines for stock cars which have to be able to keep cool for way longer than jsut a 1/4, and he aslo agrees that althougha thermostat isn't needed the restriction of the stat is a must.

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

You're forgetting that it is a closed system though. Whatever flowrate there is through the radiator is the same as the flowrate through the engine.

So, if the flowrate is slow "to let the water stay in the radiator long enough to cool down" it also stays in the engine longer, getting that much hotter.
    Now, crank the flowrate up - the water is in the radiator for less time, so it doesn't have as much time to give up heat, but it is also in the engine for less time, so picks up less heat.
    Yes, I know right now you're saying "but it is moving less heat out then". No - it is moving less heat per unit volume of water. Less heat per quart, or per gallon, etc. BUT, the higher flowrate of the faster moving system makes up for that by moving more gallons per minute.

The reason your engine runs better with a thermostat IS because of the restriction, but not because it slows the water down. Read that PDF - the restriction causes extra coolant pressure in the block.
    Without the extra pressure, you are actually boiling the water in the heads. Once you've boiled the water and created steam pockets, you get hot spots in the engine because steam doesn't cool worth beans. An engine that isn't an even temperature doesn't run as well because you can't tune it properly.

terrible one is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1976 Eldorado project

Using water won't rust the cooling system, as long as it is distilled. Tap will cause corrosion, but that is why you mainly waint to mix your coolant with distilled water.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one
    Using water won't rust the cooling system, as long as it is distilled. Tap will cause corrosion, but that is why you mainly waint to mix your coolant with distilled water.
    I'm not sure I buy that. The reason for distilled is that you won't get mineral deposits, aka "scale" buildup that could ruin the cooling system.

On a molecular level, the oxygen in water (H H O), is what causes the oxidizing.

mtflight is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1999 White Diamond ETC

If you don't mind replacing the headgaskets often, then use plain or distilled water in lieu of coolant/distilled 50/50.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.