Olds 350 or 307 to 1969 Cadillac?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Olds 350 or 307 to 1969 Cadillac? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Im beginning to rebuild my original 472 and I've been thinking some other engine to my cadillac for the time ...
    3dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Coupe de ville 1969

Olds 350 or 307 to 1969 Cadillac?

Im beginning to rebuild my original 472 and I've been thinking some other engine to my cadillac for the time until my rebuild is ready.

I live in Finland and Olds 307 and 350 engines are cheap in here. How difficult is to install an old olds engine to my car?

Engine rebuilding can be long project (i don't know how much machining my engine needs and how much money that costs)I would like to drive with cad while rebuilding my original 472 engine.

Those olds engines should bolt to cadillacs BOP tranny without problems? HOw about engine mounts? Are those in same place they are in Cadillac engine?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Olds 350 or 307 to 1969 Cadillac?

Do not bother with the 307 engine, it will not have enough torque to pull that heavy a car well. The 350 would be the better choice, but you should also consider changing the rear end gearing. If you have 3:23 or lower gear set, you will be alright. Oldsmobile also had another engine which would be better suited for this swap. The 403 would be much better for this than the other two. Oldsmobile also had one other engine the 455, but is now a rare item and not likely to be found anywhere but in the Submariners shop.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Bellhousing bolts right up. Engine mounts would have to be fabricated.

Accessory brackets all different. Exhaust completely different. Radiator hose positions might me different too.

Lots of fabrication but not impossible.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

A late 70s Olda 350 will get you around on low octane unleaded; a 403 will do better. Neither will compare
    with the performance of a high octane leaded burning 472. Bruce Roe

3dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Coupe de ville 1969

Oldsmobile also had another engine which would be better suited for this swap. The 403 would be much better for this than the other two.
    Yeah, but those cost more and are more rare than 350 or 307. We have lots of eighties 307 and 350 here and they cost something like 50 to 100 euros.

There are two criteria for this swap:
    1. The engine is cheap
    2. The swap won't consume huge amout of work

Do not bother with the 307 engine, it will not have enough torque to pull that heavy a car well. The 350 would be the better choice, but you should also consider changing the rear end gearing. If you have 3:23 or lower gear set, you will be alright.
    My rear end gearing is near 3 if my memory serves.

My car will be very slow after engine swap, but at least I can drive with it.

In the past, people here used to swap nissan 2.8 diesels (those have something like 80hp and 150NM of torque) in fullsize-GMs like chevy caprices and olds custom cruisers.......I wonder how slow they were I have seen one mopar with tailfins which had old Perkins tractor diesel

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

If you chose to go with the 307 ( which I wouldn't ) be aware that there were two variations of this engine. One used a hydraulic cam and the performance model used a roller cam. The roller cammed engine performed well, but if it was used hard the bottom end of the engine suffered. The block webbings would distort terribly. Go for the 350.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.