where can i purchase an engine temperature switch
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, where can i purchase an engine temperature switch in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I believe i need a new engine temperature switch but i cant find one at advance auto parts they have ...
    Prince BY-TOR is offline Cadillac Owners Member

where can i purchase an engine temperature switch

I believe i need a new engine temperature switch but i cant find one at advance auto parts they have sending units but i believe the switch is different the switch measures thee temperature of the block not the coolant but im not sure. And is there any way you can test a radiator to make sure its operating properly my engine is overheating and i just cant figure out why, oh and also if anyone has an old 472 without smog that they are no longer using around ky, oh, in i would like to purchase one to rebuild THANK YOU VERY MUCH

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

BluEyes is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1970 Sedan deVille hardtop

Re: where can i purchase an engine temperature switch

The engine temp switch does indeed measure the temp of the metal, not the coolant. It is the one on the head. The coolant temp switch is on the block, right under the thermostat.
    A good shop should be able to test the radiator for flow, and flush it if needed. If the fins on the radiator aren't all mangled, and it isn't blocked, then it is doing the best it can.

guidematic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 70, 90, 94 Fleetwood; 85, 88 Eldorado

There re two of these metal temp switches on the 1968-1976 engines. The one on the front of the rt head grounds the fan circuit so that the heater fan will not come on until the engine warms.

The one at the rr of the lt head is for extreme temp warning and controls the "Stop Engine Now" light on the dash.

The coolant temp switch that is under the compressor contols the amber "Hot" light.

As far as I know, these metal temp switches are obsolete. If you have a problem with the heater fan coming on, just ground the wire and it will work whenever the engine is hot or cold.

Mike

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The engine metal temp switch that runs the hot idiot lamp is useless. The engine will be quite toasty by the time that warning lamp turns on. Been there.
    When the engine is running hot, you should be able to feel the air coming across your radiator through the fan with your hand. It should be quite hot. If not, the radiator has been eating too much cholesterol and may be having a heart attack.:deadhorse
    Radiator flushing accomplishes one thing: creates profit. It is highly unlikely that any flush will make much difference in your radiator's ability to exchange heat. The crud that cloggs up radiator cores is not going to be removed by some magic in a can. Radiators are not relatively expensive anymore. If suspect, better to yoink it out and start with a fresh one. Always replace the thermostat if it is more than 6 months old and you are draining the coolant. Old thermostats have a nasty habit of getting stuck a few weeks after coolant refill. Be sure to get the correct thermostat gasket. I've had to make my own here due to some idiot who programed the awful parts house catalog thinking a small blocked Chevy gasket will fit the mighty Cadillac.
    Another cooling problem which happens to 472/500/425/368 engines is the mechanical advance in the distributor tends to hang up. This has been a problem with these engines since the start. If you cruise down the road without benefit of mechanical spark advance then your gas mileage will kill your wallet and your engine will run much hotter while cruising. This can also be a cause of rough idle and sky high hydrocarbons. Pop the distributor cap off and give the rotor a twist. It should only move in one direction (about 1/10th of a full turn) against spring pressure and then snap back when you let it go. If the rotor will not move at all or just stays where you move it then the mechanical advance needs a good cleaning. In very stubborn cases, the distributor will need to come out in order to clean it up. This same problem can also make the engine eat starters. Sometimes the distributor gets stuck in the advanced position and will be very hard starting.

thanks everyone for your input soon as it quits raining i will see what i can do thanks

just wondering would a 4 row radiator that is used on the 70's 472's would one be better than the 3 row which i think is on the 68's. and is the radiator the same on the commercial chassis than on the fl,eetwood or deville which is what the commercial chassis is based from THANKS

guidematic is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 70, 90, 94 Fleetwood; 85, 88 Eldorado

More rows will aid cooling, no doubt. Look inside the rad at the tubes protruding into the tank, if they are hevy with calcium deposits, then just replace it. As the Ape Man says, no crap in a can will clean it out.

Always replace the thermostat first when adressing any overheating situation. And use a good OEM unit, not one of those crappy aftermarket deals. They ususally cause more grief than they are worth.

A plugged rad will usually cause overheating on the highway when more flow is required, but be fine around town. In town overheating is usually caused by lack of airflow through the rad. A stuck thermostat will cause overheating all the time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by The Ape Man
    The engine metal temp switch that runs the hot idiot lamp is useless. The engine will be quite toasty by the time that warning lamp turns on. Been there.
    Not at all. The engine temp switch is designed to give you a warning if the engine is overheating because of coolant loss.
    See, the water temp sender relies on the coolant in the block to complete the electrical circuit and turn on the water temp light. If you have, say, the lower radiator hose pop off and dump your coolant on the road, the water temp warning will not come on. Electrical temp gauges will not work, either. Been there.
    The engine temp switch may not come on untill a higher temp, but it is designed to detect the temp of the metal, not the coolant, and thus if you have no coolant in the engine, it will still give you a warning. Plus, being right there in the heads, it will get really hot plenty quick if you don't have coolant up there.

Quote Originally Posted by BluEyes
    Not at all. The engine temp switch is designed to give you a warning if the engine is overheating because of coolant loss.
    See, the water temp sender relies on the coolant in the block to complete the electrical circuit and turn on the water temp light. If you have, say, the lower radiator hose pop off and dump your coolant on the road, the water temp warning will not come on. Electrical temp gauges will not work, either. Been there.
    The engine temp switch may not come on untill a higher temp, but it is designed to detect the temp of the metal, not the coolant, and thus if you have no coolant in the engine, it will still give you a warning. Plus, being right there in the heads, it will get really hot plenty quick if you don't have coolant up there.
    Have you ever driven a '68 to '76 and seen the engine coolant lamp on while driving?

I've never had the engine temp lamp come on in any car I've driven. (I'm not going to drain the coolant and run the car to test it either)

The one time that it should have come on in one of my cars was when my fiance was driving our Camaro. The lower rad hose came off, and with no coolant in the system neither the temp gauge (electronic, not mechanical), or warning light will work.
    Thank goodness she has a good nose. She says she could 'smell the hot metal' and pulled over.
    That's my main reason for liking the engine temp switch.

No, I don't know what temp the switch turns on at. I think the water temp switch is set to 260*? So, the engine temp switch is probably 300*F, at least. Probably pretty hard to get it up that high if you have any kind of coolant circulation at all. But, its purpose is not to come on as long as your cooling system has water in it.
    Mobil 1 says it will protect at oil temps up to 400*F. If the engine temp light comes on before then, than it's good enough for me.

Ok. I've read the shop manual too. What it leaves out is that the metal temp switch should be hooked to a lamp that says "junk your car now oil has been carmelized for the last half hour"
    Chryslers had good "hot" lights back in the day. They really needed them too.

actually, I haven't, I was just taking a stab at the set temps.
    Thing is, I doubt that it'll take the cylinder heads 30min to get up to 300* if there is NO COOLANT.

Maybe with the oils back in the 70's the oil would have been toast by the time the light lit, but with modern synthetics, having a light come on at 300* could easily save your @$$. I've actually heard of dirt trackers running oil temps well over that in races. Sure, there would likely be some scuffing, but the motor ought to live if you were able to shut it down soon.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20

What I don't like is the odd location of the switch. When the very corner of the head reaches that temp, the rest of it must be pretty toasty at that point.

I agree, would be better to have it between two cylinders.

jallenpari is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1979 sedan deville

I just had my "stop engine now" light come on while I was driving on my 1979 deville. I pulled over, popped the hood to find that my reservoir was still full, my radiator was still full and the engine felt cool. After about 20 minutes I added some water to the reservoir and proceeded to finish my 10 minute drive home. The light has not come on since. Not sure what triggered it. Going to replace the thermostat, reservoir tank and eventually the radiator soon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.