"Big Inch Cadillac" book
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, "Big Inch Cadillac" book in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Anyone have this book? It's supposed to have lots of good info on getting the most out of the 472/500. ...
    lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

"Big Inch Cadillac" book

Anyone have this book?
    It's supposed to have lots of good info on getting the most out of the 472/500.
    http://www.hotrodsusa.com/buynow/man...OK/BIGINCH.HTM
    MTS sells this book or you can buy it direct from Ten Minute Publishing.
    I think I'll order one from MTS this week.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Dead Sled is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    tell me how it is I might be interested in getting it. I see MTS referes to it as THE cad book to get but haven't heard any first hand about it.
    I know Cad500 says the Chiltons Manual is the one to get. dont waste the $15 on it save it for the factoy service manual that the dealers use

The Chilton will deal with factory specs. The Big Inch Cadillac book deals with performance builds. A factory service or a Chiltons would be good for a stock motor.

I dont think its even good for that. because every thing I wanted to look up, if it was there at all, said see a dealer. I knew the diffenance between the chiltons and the Big inch cad and Cad500 listed them both as the books to get. I personaly havent had much luck with eiter Haynes or Chiltons

Vern is offline Banned
    The link above shows pics of the first book. I have the first book. There is now a new revised book that I have not seen or heard much about yet. Anybody have it and care to comment?

I was going to call and order it from MTS today but I got busy.......maybe tomorrow.

got it yet?

lol.....not yet.......i'll let you know when i get it though

you better

I finally got it. It's got lots of good info. I recommend it highly for anyone who's planning a 472/500 build.
    Vern,
    What is supposed to be different about the newer book? The book I have looks just like the one that's listed on the site above.
    Does the book that you have, have the Q-Jet carb info near the back? I think I remember someone saying that was the difference between the old and new.

Vern is offline Banned
    lux
    Sorry been offline but now I am back on my new cable modem and it is way cool. Mine is definately the old book and I do not remember any Q-jet info in the back but I have not looked at it in awhile and don't have it here. I will check though.

In the book that I have, page 116-138 is all about tuning and re-building a Q-Jet. I haven't read that part yet but I plan to.

Angela Desmond is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have the book. I thought it might be a help for my 470 h.p. 425CI project. Watch out for some typos in there. Where he talks about the piston cutouts being on one side if the rod bearing tabs are on the other side. he has that backwards and it left me staring at that darn piston for about 20 minutes before I realized he was wrong. If you want the exact page and quote in question,ask me and I'll get the book out and tell you the page and the way it should read. There was another typo in there also that I can't remember off-hand but I'll find it for you also if you want...Otherwise the book is useful for a big inch project

Originally posted by Angela Desmond
    I have the book. I thought it might be a help for my 470 h.p. 425CI project. Watch out for some typos in there. Where he talks about the piston cutouts being on one side if the rod bearing tabs are on the other side. he has that backwards and it left me staring at that darn piston for about 20 minutes before I realized he was wrong. If you want the exact page and quote in question,ask me and I'll get the book out and tell you the page and the way it should read. There was another typo in there also that I can't remember off-hand but I'll find it for you also if you want...Otherwise the book is useful for a big inch project
    Thanks for the "heads up" on the typos.....I'll have to make sure that I read it carefully.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.