Replacing lifters in a 472 - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Replacing lifters in a 472 in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Could be just some dirt in the wrong place....
    The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Re: Replacing lifters in a 472

Could be just some dirt in the wrong place.

jukelemon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Yeah. I hope so. Every lifter I took apart looked very clean.

Thanks for the help.

Jason
    The Ape Man likes this.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Since you have it apart and lifters are cheap I think it is a good idea to change them at this time. Even though it's kind of a long shot that they are ticking, and none are collapsed and you didn't mention any abnormal wear on them. I always soaked my lifters in Chevys and never had any problems but I have recently found that it is a no-no on non-adjustable valve trains.

Some guys on an Olds forum just put together a rebuilt engine and soaked the lifters and couldn't start it. The pumped up lifters actually hold the valves open when the rockers are bolted down. They had to actually remove the lifters and pump the oil out of them somehow and put it back together and it fired right up.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

By chance, has this engine not been run for a long time and now recently been started? These types of systems will sometimes bleed down when they are not run for long periods. When they are started, they will have air trapped within the oiling system which will eventually be removed as the engine is returned to normal use. Until the air is released the engine will run, noisily. On Big Block Chevies it will sound like a rod knock. On Cadillacs it will sound like lifters or rod knocks depending on how long it has set and how much air has to be replaced. I got a SDV out of a junk yard that hadn't been started for years. I fired it up and I thought the engine was wasted. It rattled and knocked real bad. The more I ran it, the quieter it got, but the knock did not go away. I finally decided, "Hell, it's a junkyard engine." Put the throttle to the floor and let it run. If it was bad, it would be determined then and there. Ran the R's up and then down, back up and then down again, and repeat a couple times. The engine quieted down and ran smooth as silk. Recently I started a CDV I haven't run in 2 years. I put gas into the carb reservoir, which will run an engine for about 1 minute. It started right up and was a little noisy at the lifters. The fuel pump delivered and I didn't have to restart. It got quieter the longer it ran. I ran it for 15 minutes, drove it and parked it. I hope you haven't done all this for nothing.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Last dormant 500 I brought back to life had only a couple thousand miles after a teardown. Used the original valvetrain because it all looked new. It sat from 2003 until 2011. It drowned it with trans fluid before pulling it out of the donor car.

Cranked it for about 2 minutes with the plugs out after installation in my current ride. Not a tick or any funny sound at all in this one.

Some will be noisy though.

jukelemon is offline Cadillac Owners Member

No, this car has been driven. Albeit not much in the last 3 years but I have put on ~2000 miles thus far.

I follow on not pumping up the lifters prior.

They arrive in a few days so I will report back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.