Cadillac Owners Forum banner

472 rebuild or Crate Motor?

27K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  the APEMAN 
#1 ·
I am not a mechanic.
I have a 472 motor for a 1969 limo that needs rebuild or replace.
Is it cheaper to get a crate motor or have professional rebuild?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think both will roughly be the same price. I had a total engine overhaul for about $3500. The best thing about that is it will fit right back in without any surprice modifications.

BTW, nice car!

#4 ·
You could check out cad500parts.com. I believe they sell engines as well (472 and 500 cid). But for sure they have good quality overhaul kits! They also have kits to convert your 472 in 500 cid.
Even if you don't do the overhaul yourself you can take the kit to a machine shop to have it done.

#5 ·
Just for fun, I built a 76 Eldorado 500 inch motor. Bought it for $500 and it was a complete
motor; incl. carb, pan, etc.
I tool it apart and had everything cleaned, magna fluxed, valve job, etc.
It did NOT need to be bored. I reassembled the complete motor; incl. carb, new oil/water pumps
All the best USA rings, bearings, gaskets, seals , timing gear, MTS cam & kit, etc.

The whole project cost me $1900 incl. cost of motor, new parts, & machine shop bill.
If you ask the shop to assemble it ...figure on a day of labor.

I had fun doing it & it now happily resides in a 74 Eldorado somewhere out east...!

#6 ·
Sounds like a fun job! Did you have a jig to hang the engine in?

#7 ·
For the Cadillac engines, it would be best to get a four point engine stand. More expensive than the 3 point, but if you have to move it around a small shop, it is safer. From someone who has had to pull a Cadillac engine off the floor because someone thought they could just shove it out of the way. :)

#9 ·
Did that with a nice Chry 440 with 413 Max Wedge heads. It broke the rocker pedestal on one of the heads.

----------

I found a 472 was wondering if it would be a good idea to put it in my 87 chevy
It would be an excellent idea. In fact all Chevrolet engines made before 2000 should be replaced by this type of engine.

I once retrofitted a Cad 500 into an '82 TransAm. Worked well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.