1980 Coupe Deville Ignition problem
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 1980 Coupe Deville Ignition problem in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I have a 1980 Coupe Deville with the California emissions. I was driving it every day until the problem arose ...
    slayer10242 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Coupe Deville

1980 Coupe Deville Ignition problem

I have a 1980 Coupe Deville with the California emissions. I was driving it every day until the problem arose about 8 months ago, and it has sat in the garage since. Heres the problem:

I changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, air filter, and pcv valve. About a week later, I was on my way home and it died, and the dummy light came on that says stop engine oil pressure. I checked the oil, and it was fine, so I tried to start it again and it wouldn't start. Turns out, I had no spark. I pulled the cap off and found that I didn't seat the cap properly, and the rotor had been digging into the side of the cap. I replaced the cap, and still didn't have any spark. I replaced the Ignition Control Module, and it started, ran for about 20 seconds, and died, with the same dummy light. This also shorted out the Ignition Control Module, again. I had the car towed home and have slowly been working on it again. I replaced the Oil Pressure sending switch, and rebuilt the Oil pump, and installed it today. I started the car and it fired right up and ran. While it was still idling, I added some transmission fluid (as there is a mysterious puddle under the car that wasn't there until late winter) and was going to take it for a ride, when it died after about 10 minutes of running, with the same dummy light, again, and no spark when I try starting it again. What is causing it to short out the ICMs? It really sucks because thats three I've been through, and being CA emissions, they are around $40.00 each. HELP!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

slayer10242 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1980 Coupe Deville

Re: 1980 Coupe Deville Ignition problem

BTW, it is the 368 c.i.

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

I have never heard of them failing that quickly. I think they can test them at the parts stores. You should test your old ones to see if they are really dead. Maybe the coil is acting up somehow; never seen one kill ICM's though. Are you putting the grease under the modules? Even if not they shouldn't die that quick.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Some of these ( perhaps I should say most new production ) ICM s are manufactured somewhere other than here and I doubt the quality is anywhere near what the original GM Delco units were. I have noticed that they are much more fragile and prone to failure than the original GM Delco units. There is a tester listed in the SM, but I have never seen one and there are probably variations of testers for the different model years and new generation (Calif., other) modules. Most test procedures determine that the module is defective after testing every other unit of the HEI.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.