500 75 deville hot start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By drmenard
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 500 75 deville hot start in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I'm having an issue with my 1975 deville. When I drive it in the Texas summer heat, it makes a ...
    shwhitley is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '75 Sedan DeVille

500 75 deville hot start

I'm having an issue with my 1975 deville. When I drive it in the Texas summer heat, it makes a clattering noise accelerating from a stop. When I try to crank it after its only sat for a few minutes, it's difficult to start. I have to press the accelerator a lot to get it to start. AnIthithinkmusitmust be so

----------

I think it might be in the carb but one mechanic said it could be timing chain needing to be replaced. After the engine has cooled it starts right up. Tried higher octane fuel that helped some but not completely.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: 500 75 deville hot start

It sounds to me like the timing is advanced too much.

thanks! I will have them check that

drmenard is online now Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

The first thing that I would check is the weights in the distributor for the advance. If they get stuck it can keep your timing advanced..
    The Ape Man likes this.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

At the same time, check the condition of the timing chain. Any car of that vintage should have an all steel
    replacement in place. The originals used plastic teeth which in time fall off the cam sprocket. Bruce Roe

I was wondering about the timing chain...it only has 46K miles on it but I was thinking since it didn't have many miles, the timing chain should be good...but if it's plastic, and it's been sitting for a long time, then that makes sense

So I had the timing adjusted and also had tune up with new points plugs distributor and coil. Still resists starting hot. It also hesitates when I accelerate from a standing stop.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

The mechanical advance weights on these engines always wind up binding.

This advances timing. Resetting timing without repairing the problem is useless and will yield dismal fuel economy.

What sort of fuel economy should I be getting? i'm getting 10 mpg now...figured that was about the best I could expect. I will have them check these weights. I had thought about replacing the carburetor with a new one for the 76 model as I'd heard that carb was better than the 75. I'd rather not have to do that though. When the car cools down, it usually starts right up. Starts easily in the morning too just hesitates sometimes when you start off and it's cold

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Economy depends a lot of your style of driving. 10 is dismal even for this car.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Check your vacuum lines and the dashpots. Make sure the dashpots hold vacuum for the required length of time. Check the hoses for burn through where they set on the engine and the connections for dried rubber and cracks. Check the distributor advance dashpot. See how sensitive it is to vacuum signal. If it fails to hold vacuum, it may have a small crack in the diaphragm and not responding to signal well.

chrisntam is offline Cadillac Owners Member

When you say it difficult to start when hot, does the engine crank over like it does when it's cold or does the starter have a difficult time turning the engine over? What about the starter getting hot and not being able to perform as it should and not being able to turn the engine? What kind of shape is the battery in? Of course the starter/battery prolly won't be an issue if the engine spins at the same speed when hot as when cold............Be sure to keep us informed as to your progress.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.