oil level
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, oil level in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; having to build a new oil pan for a 472 after previous owner butchered it. need to know the high ...
    mfp-66 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 472 dragster

oil level

having to build a new oil pan for a 472 after previous owner butchered it. need to know the high and low oil level marks as i dont have a dip stick. can anyone tell me the distance from the bottom of the block to both high an low marks. also what the capacity of the pan. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: oil level

You are building your own pan. You should fill the pan in the same manner, use the old dip stick and tube to set the level above the pick up. The volume doesn't matter in this case.

Don't have a dipstick that's the problem

Do you have the tube for the 472? You can make your own stick. The shield will be the hardest part to set and manufacture. I believe Moroso products produces a replacement stick and tube, but not sure of this. You can also use a tube and stick from another engine, provided the tube fits your block. Trim the stick for length and etch the stick for the fill marks. I take it this is for a race engine. If you are increasing the pan volume and depth you will have to consider making a new pick-up tube to position the pick-up at the proper depth.

Have the lower dipstick tube. Got a Morroso weld in dipstick to use but want to make sure the full oil level isn't to high that it causes problems

This is a trial and error process. Of the two stock pans available, the regular deville/ Fleetwood pan has a four quart capacity, and the Eldorado has a 5 quart capacity. Basically the end result is determined by the capacity of your pan and the minimum oil level. Built pans ( by racer's descriptions ) start by determining the distance of the pick-up screen from the bottom of the pan. They used a softened piece of modeling clay beneath the pick-up screen. I believe the clearance should be 3/16 - 1/2 inch. You don't want the screen hitting the bottom of the pan. Fill the pan with 4 quarts of oil, then drain it. check the high mark on the pick-up tube to determine how far above the pick-up the oil level will be. Also check if this level is out of the range of the crank throws and rod ends. Do this using a piece of cardboard cut equidistant from end to end and long enough to span the bottom of the block base ( oil pan surface ). If you feel this will be sufficient, you can design any baffling / windage tray / oil scraper you may want per your application. Best to do this now, as these items are not readily available. Good luck with your endeavors.

Sberry is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 2000 Deville

I can measure one. I understand the problem. I have a sight glass in the pan on this one. Thse have modified pans for extra capacity.
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.