Hei INSTALLED!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Hei INSTALLED! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Well got my HEI installed. Also put in a new set of AC Delco plugs gapped at .060. I'm experiencing ...
    Sasquatch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Hei INSTALLED!

Well got my HEI installed. Also put in a new set of AC Delco plugs gapped at .060. I'm experiencing a slight hesitation when I really put my foot into the pedal. I'm running a 1411 Edelbrock carb. I had the timing set at 30 degrees but was experiencing some pinging. This was before I added the new plugs. Reset the timing to 28 degrees added the new plugs. No pinging but have a slight hesitation. It's like when your driving along and then you floor it there is a "uuuutaaa" then she takes off. No big deal just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas. Gonna mess around with it some more today. Maybe I'll reset the timing to 30 degrees now that I have the new plugs in it and see what happens. Seems to have really picked up the performance other than the hesitation. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kev
    Kev is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1989 Sedan DeVille is now just a fond memory ....

Re: Hei INSTALLED!

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch
    Well got my HEI installed. Also put in a new set of AC Delco plugs gapped at .060. I'm experiencing a slight hesitation when I really put my foot into the pedal. I'm running a 1411 Edelbrock carb. I had the timing set at 30 degrees but was experiencing some pinging. This was before I added the new plugs. Reset the timing to 28 degrees added the new plugs. No pinging but have a slight hesitation. It's like when your driving along and then you floor it there is a "uuuutaaa" then she takes off. No big deal just thought I'd post and see if anyone has any ideas. Gonna mess around with it some more today. Maybe I'll reset the timing to 30 degrees now that I have the new plugs in it and see what happens. Seems to have really picked up the performance other than the hesitation. Thanks.

Sounds like it's starving for gas at the mash. I'm not familiar with Edelbrock carbs but, I remember all the fun I used to have tweaking and tuning the Holleys. Check out your accellerator pump. If there are any adjustments you can make, that's where I would start.
    Sounds like a brute!

Kev

I didn't have the problem with the points/condenser ignition so that leads me to believe that the carb is fine. I'm wondering if it's timing or maybe vac advance. The HEI dist. has an adjustable vac advance should I go with a different one. Also when you floor it you feel the hesitation and then it accelerates but if you back off the throttle just a bit, maybe a quater pedal, it feels like a power band kicks in and it really accelerates. Thanks for any help.

Kev

I didn't have the problem with the points/condenser ignition so that leads me to believe that the carb is fine. I'm wondering if it's timing or maybe vac advance. The HEI dist. has an adjustable vac advance should I go with a different one. Also when you floor it you feel the hesitation and then it accelerates but if you back off the throttle just a bit, maybe a quater pedal, it feels like a power band kicks in and it really accelerates. Thanks for any help.
    As you said, "..when you floor it you feel the hesitation and then it accelerates but if you back off the throttle just a bit, maybe a quater pedal, it feels like a power band kicks in and it really accelerates.."
    When you accelerate with a carburator, most carbs that I know of have an accelerator pump that gives the engine an extra intitial burst of gas to eliminate the symptoms you have just described. When you 'mash the gas' the engine sucks a tremendous amount of air because of the vacuum. If you don't include an appropriate mix of gas, you get that "wuuaaaah" sound and the car doesn't go like you want. Let off and the air fuel mixture balances out and you take off.

Kev

Why would I not experience it with the other ignition? Maybe because this one is stronger and requires more fuel? Thanks.

Could it be the fuel pump?

Kev

I wouldn't suspect the fuel pump yet. I took a second look at your timing, 28 degrees BTDC? That seems very aggressive. With the timing that far advanced, could it be that your centrifugal is throwing it too far upon full throttle?

Kev

Kev

I'm sorry, was thinking old school with points......
    DUH!!!!!!

Kev

Kev

I still think you may have a balance problem between your timing and fuel mixture at full throttle.
    Edit; So here's a thought. Try setting the timing at 10 degrees BTDC and see how she accelerates, then if you want, you can bump up in stages (3-5 degs) till you like the results.

Kev

haymaker is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Maybe I overlooked it in your post but which car; engine and HEI are you working on? Your talking about 28-30 degrees timing, is that total, initial or what? The Edelbrock carb is that the one based on the old Carter AFB carb? I may be able to help if I have a better idea of the car and engine you are working on.

cadrolay is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I'd say re-gap the plugs to between .045 and .050. my guess is that the .060 plug gap doesn't like the AFR. is the 1411 stock calibration or have you richened it up at all? if I remember right the 1411 was set to run a little leaner than the 1407... and the 1407 (stock cal.) runs about 14:1 AFR.

The car I'm running is my hearse with the 472. 28 degrees is the total timing. There is another thread that barge master suggested gapping the plugs at .060.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=14525

Does anyone know what the factory timing was for the 500 with HEI? Should be the same for the 472. I believe the 472 never came with HEI therefor no factory timing for the 472 with HEI is availalable.

Kev

I don't know what the stock timing is, but I was googling around and found this page. I has a lot of basic info (which, turns out, I needed a refresher on) and also talks about replacing mechanical ignition with HEI. It may be of some help to you.

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofign.htm
    Good luck!

Kev

Kev

More info;

Bog Control Question: I am the owner of a ’69 Mustang with a mildly built 289. When I rebuilt the engine, I added an Edelbrock 600-cfm Performer carb. When the car is stopped and I try to accelerate, the engine bogs for a split second. Some people tell me that this is just the way the pump in the carburetor is set up. Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Stephen Field

Locust, North Carolina

Answer: If you are not familiar with carburetors from Edelbrock (Dept. HR11, 2700 California St., Torrance, CA 91503, 310/781-2222), you should start by getting an Edelbrock owner’s manual that will at least show where all the parts are and what they do. Most bogs are caused by an excessive lean or rich condition or improper ignition timing. As odd as it may sound, half the problems blamed on carburetors stem from ignition timing. Generally speaking, shoot for 12 to 14 degrees initial and 32 to 36 degrees of total timing.

If you have already ruled out timing, check for air or fuel leaks around and inside the carburetor. Also, check the idle-feed restrictors; if they are clogged, an off-idle bog will occur. Next, tune the idle mixture using a vacuum gauge or the car’s tachometer. Tune each screw so that the engine produces the highest vacuum or rpm.

If all of that fails, move the pump-drive link to one of the holes closer to the carb body. That will increase the stroke length of the plunger and deliver more fuel during acceleration. Save that change for last, however, because it is too often used to cover a problem elsewhere in the carburetor or engine.

Edelbrock offers a tech line (310/781-2900) to help you trouble-shoot its carburetor or any of its other products.
    Got it from;

http://www.hotrod.com/techfaq/41860/

Kev

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.