Weird sputtering issue
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arseassin
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Weird sputtering issue in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Hey guys, I have recently come into possession of a '70 DeVille 472. We rebuilt the carb and virtually nothing ...
    Arseassin is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Weird sputtering issue

Hey guys, I have recently come into possession of a '70 DeVille 472.

We rebuilt the carb and virtually nothing else done, then I made the journey from ATL to Ft. Bragg NC (400 miles).

Along the way I ran into a largely inconveniencing issue - At first it went a good 40 miles with no issues at HWY speed (70mph),
    however after about 40 miles it got to where every 5 miles or so at HWY speed it would start to sputter and jerk (similar to when
    spark plug wires are going bad) however, if I tried to continue it at a furious pace it would continue to sputter and slowly beat me down
    to a lower speed.

Say I started at 70, ran about 2 miles or so, it would start sputtering (on hills especially) requiring me to give it less and less gas, working me
    down from 70 to 60, then to 50, and after about a total of 5 miles or so it would force me to go 40 and under, making me either pull off onto
    the shoulder for about 30 seconds to idle, or off an exit long enough to turn around and get right back on the HWY to rinse and repeat.

Around town she runs great, I would assume its all of the stop and go. My assumption originally was that the car was somehow flooding itself
    like maybe the float was getting stuck or something but jiggling the pedal and the fact that it is 100% reproducible the same way every time
    makes me think it has more to do with the fuel pump itself.

I'm not terribly mechanically inclined, and I dont have access to a huge assortment of tools, so my questions are: does it seem from the sounds of it
    to be the fuel pump? and if so, how difficult is it to replace one?

Also, what would any of you previous 472 owners recommend I start with as far as general replacements for parts known to be outdated or obsolete?

Any and all help is appreciated guys!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

cadillac_al is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 78 Seville, 78 Coupe de Ville, 92 Sedan de Ville

Re: Weird sputtering issue

It sounds like it is starving for gas to me. Either a plugged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Been there. My case it was the fuel pump pumping all fuel back to the tank via the bypass. A quick way to check is pinch the return hose back to the tank and go for a test drive. In my case it was a less than 2 year old Airtex pump. Replaced with another Airtex pump. Stayed working almost forever.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

I, personally don't like Airtex products and it doesn't matter which one. Fuel pump, water pump, whatever, usually lasts one year, just past the warrantee, then failure. I use AC, or Carter units for replacement parts. I hate doing a job more than once over a short period of time.

Just thought I would post an update for you guys:

It was indeed the fuel pump. The car actually broke down on me on the expressway, luckily I was only 2 miles from my barracks so I got it towed back free thanks to AAA.
    I picked up a new fuel pump for 33$ at O'Riley, spent about 60$ on tools and went to town in my parking lot. It took me about 3 hours (I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever), but I was able to install the new fuel pump and after a minute of pumping the gas while turning the key she fired right up.

The fuel filter in the bottom of the old pump was so filled with dirt and crap that it was falling out in marble sized chunks as I tapped it on the ground. I took it out last weekend about 50m away to another city with absolutely no problems whatsoever, however on the way back I had it sputter on me one time, so I know that I need to probably change the fuel filter again, or get into the filter in the carb itself and see how bad caked up that one is.

My goal now is to get one of those fancy HEI distributors in the car, but I have absolutely no clue where to even start so this will be interesting. Thanks for all the help guys!
    70eldo likes this.

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

If you get any new junk sucked into the pump it may do the same as the last pump.

Might be time just to bite the bullet and replace the gas tank and gas tank straps for cheap insurance.

Oh man don't tell me that!

What kind of money would I be looking at for that?

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I think ape man is right. The tank has got crap in it. If its not leaking it could be cleaned out.. But still has to come out.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Replacement tanks go for around $125.00, but dr is right. With some effort and patience, you can clean out the old one, provided there are no holes that get exposed in the process. Sounds like you need a new sock on the pick-up tube also.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.