what engine is in the 81 coupe deville - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, what engine is in the 81 coupe deville in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Thanks for the timely post, Bill! I've always been intrigued with the V864 engine - always thinking it was a ...
    fleetwood96 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 DTS III;05 DTS;02&03 STS;96 F/W Brm;85 F/W Brm

Just bought an '81Re: what engine is in the 81 coupe deville

Thanks for the timely post, Bill! I've always been intrigued with the V864 engine - always thinking it was a bit ahead of its time (I'm a bit of a computer buff, anyhow) - and today I finally got my chance - an 81 Fleetwood with the V864 engine I found (locally) on Ebay still in original condition. It runs nice and smooth, but I think someone has disabled the system, as the MPG Sentinel always displays 8 cylinders on its screen, even though I might be coasting down a hill at 55+ MPH. There is no Check Engine lamp and no diagnostic codes on the ECC while in diag. mode. I shall try jacking her up on the driver's side and looking for the wire connector at the transmission you mentioned. Is there any other way of disabling the system? It appears that all 4 sets of wires on top of the cylinder heads are in place.

I heard that the system could be disabled, pretty easily, for those timid about the 6 & 4 operation. I would sure love to try the system in all its glory, and then decide whether I want to leave it permanently in V8 mode.

Doug

Caddy_freak is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: what engine is in the 81 coupe deville

Congradulations Fleetwood96

on your new perchase. I love mine, hope you'll like yours.

I am having a delema however. I bought a running 500 caddy motor and trans from a friend of mine, I was able to get for $200. I'm tempted to put them in my 81 after I rebuild them, but there's really nothing wrong with my 368 V8-6-4.
    It runs great! it only has 87,000 miles on it.

so maybe I'll just hold on to them for now (in storage) and wait to see if I can find a really nice Fleetwood or Coupe Deville body with a blown HT 4100 in it for cheap!

But then I will have two Caddy's, parking is a problem, and I really don't want to give up my 81, or the new motor. I'm adraid that if I end up with two I'll be tempted to sell one. ( I sold my house and have limited parking now)

I still have my 91 mustang stored at a friends house, My 83 sedan Deville I let my stepson drive it, cause I have no place to park it. (it's for sale)
    Then my wifes car, and my daily clunker (nissan).
    so that's 5 cars already, damn I kinda miss having a yard to park them in!

Douglajl is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by lux hauler
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong but.......don't the 368 and the 4-6-8 (8-6-4) use the same block? It was the electronics that made them different, right?
    If memory serves, you are correct, the Valve covers are the only difference I believe.

Casey1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeVillish
    I'll be getting another car soon and theres a 81 coupe deville for sale. Anyone know what it has under the hood? I hope its not a 4.1.
    The 1981 Cadillac shop manual lists the 4.1 six cly. engine, 368 4, 6, 8 engine, and a 368 block diesel.

RocketFast321 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1984 Buick Electra Estate Wagon aka Country Cadillac

this has enlighten me about the V8-6-4

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.