JB Engine Oil Treatment
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Submariner409
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, JB Engine Oil Treatment in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; Question, Has anyone used this product in their engines? Did some research since I never heard of it before, and ...
    Golden 69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1969 Coupe DeVille

JB Engine Oil Treatment

Question, Has anyone used this product in their engines? Did some research since I never heard of it before, and read a lot of positive responses. Just wanted to see if anyone had any experience/results first hand from the forum. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: JB Engine Oil Treatment

Take this from a long-engine builder: Run the proper viscosity oil for your engine and leave the snake oils on the shelf.

When you read lists of "positive responses" remember - anyone can post a response - even the guy who sells the stuff and gets a kickback for every jug. It's a piece of cake for me to log into a site and post "Sub's Olds 455 marine conversion engines are the best".

Thanks for the tip. Any brand oil/and viscosity you would recommend? I have approx. 70,000 miles on the bottom end of my 472. Top end has about 6,000 miles. Can't trust what the previous owner used since he wasn't up front about some other issues. Thanks for the help.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, install a sound system
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

If the engine is basically sound, runs well, and has no clanks, ticks, thumps or bumps I would recommend running the recommended viscosity oil (10W-30 ???) in a "high mileage" conventional or synthetic blend. Why the "high mileage" caveat ?? These oils have a slightly elevated ZDDP package (zinc/phosphorus anti-scuff additive)(compared to today's SN service oils) that would make your flat-tappet cam a bit happier. And you would still not need to add any additional snake oil.

There ARE proponents and opponents of "high mileage", conventional, blend, and synthetic oils. The above is based on my big engine experience and opinion - others will differ. My truck and Northstar run synthetic oils. The GM 454 and Olds 455 boat engines run Pennzoil LongLife 15W-40 fleet oil - but that's a boat engine, not a car engine. Different beasts.

Google "api engine oil service designations" to read up on what has been done to oil additive packages since 2001. Read everything you can in the AMSOIL site - they're pretty straightforward about engines and oils. Quaker State, Shell and Pennzoil are all part of SOPUS - Shell Oil Products U.S..

Oil brands are like whiskey, women, and guns - everyone has their preference and an internet forum discussion will NOT change their minds.........
    The Ape Man and The Ape Man like this.

Thanks again for your help. Will go with the Synthetic higher ZDDP.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.