472, how to boost fuel economy?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 472, how to boost fuel economy? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; ...
    3dfx is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Coupe de ville 1969

472, how to boost fuel economy?

Hi

I have -69 De Ville. When i bought it, car was not maintained in ages and it had very bad fuel economy, 12MPG in road drive.

Well, I replaced old airfilter and oilfilter (+oil of course) with new ones and economy went little better (13MPG).

Is there any way to lower the MPG? I have heard some people get 17 or even 18MPG fuel comsumination? With todays gas prices (1,7€/litre here in Finland, if i calculated correctly, that would mean, 8,6$/gallon)

Maybe I should change some ignition components such as spark plugs and breaker points. At least those looked pretty old. Are there any differences between different sparkplugs? Can I get any benefit from sparkplugs like iridium or platinum with my mechanical ignition system, or should I just buy traditional plugs like AC Delco?

I think my ignition timing is too early (something like 30-50 degrees early). Does this effect much to fuel consume?

Second thing is the carburetor. I think I'm going to do some mainteance in there too and change at least the float needle valve. I checked my cars emissions in local garage, and they were very nice, so air/gas mixtures are fine. What other things I should change there?

Are there any other things what would affect to fuel economy? I dont have EGR, Pulse air systems or any other emission control equipment.

PS. Sorry if my english was bad

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

j2rossit is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 85 FW Brougham, 68 Buick Wildcat Convertible 455 4bbl

Re: 472, how to boost fuel economy?

Welcome to the forum.
    What kind of driving are these values calculated from?
    12-13mpg city driving would be fantastic.
    if it's on the highway, what speed? What are your driving habits?
    How are the tires? bald or low pressure tires use a lot more gas.
    Timing will most certainly affect fuel efficiency.
    If your ignition components look old, they would be one of the first things I'd replace regardless of efficiency considerations.

bigm57ict is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1979 Coupe deVille

You may be able to achieve small improvements in fuel economy, but for the car you have, 12-13 is about normal.
    By all means, perfect the timing, tire pressure, etc, but don't expect great gains from it.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I am a old school type of guy. And a lot of guys with these motors use old style copper plugs, and I did for many years... But a year and a half ago I put in a set of denso iridium... They have been working great and would recomend using the denso plugs...I would also recomend a HEI distrubtor with the vacume advance hooked direct to manifold vacume.. do not go through the temp switches.. Make sure that the distrubtor weights are free and working correctly.. I would set the timing like this... disconnect vacume advance vac hose... rev the motor to 2500rpm or till you are at max centrifical advance and setr te timing to 35 degrees... If it pings back it off till it stops... but with 93 octane it should be ok.. If you are forced to use 87 octane it is going to be very hard with a carb... A bit eazier with fuel injection..

talismandave is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1987 Brougham, 1974 Fleetwood Talisman, Volvo C70,

Drive downhill?

Actually 12 -13 sounds pretty good as the guys were saying. If you know someone who go 17 I would doubt he was being honest with you. Or he had a different newer car with an overdrive transmission.

77CDV is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 77 CDV, 01 ETC, 06 DTS III, 69 FWB

On the open highway, in perfect tune and under optimal conditions, your car will *maybe* hit 16mpg. In mixed driving, 12-13mpg is pretty standard. Fuel efficient, these cars are not.

carnut is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 1988 Allante' (sold), 1984 Eldorado, 84 Sedan DeVille

All you can do is make sure the tires are at proper pressure, points and vacuum advance are new, distributor weights free. Points dwell at 30 degrees. Timing at spec or 2 degrees advanced. Wheel alignment to spec. Drive like you have an egg under your foot! If the smog readings are good then the carb float and needle and seat are good. Make sure the 4 bolts holding the carb are tight, most are 2 turns loose. You will get many opinions regarding spark plugs. In my opinion, use A/C Delco's as recommended.

Aron9000 is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300

12-13mpg sounds about right for that engine. Also keep in mind that you need to put a lead additive in the gas if the car still has its original valve seats. I know if you ever have the heads rebuilt they'll put in hardened valve seats like modern cars have so it will run fine on unleaded gas.

CADforce69 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Sedan de Ville 1969, Dodge 3700GT '73, Audi A3 1.8T

I have a '69 Sedan de Ville: New tires with right pressure, new points, sparks, rotor, points, distributor cap... The best mileage I did is 11 mpg during my first travel from the city I bought it to home. 80-90 Kmph. before changing all the components above mentioned. Now at 100-110 Kmph never better than 10 mpg. (Sorry, I canīt enjoy it going slower )

Things I could improve on my car: better spark plugs (Now I have Motorcraft, that I donīt think are the best for this car) and carburetor, though I donīt have any driving or starting problems with it, but the mechanic advised me to change it when I can afford it.

I know itīs hard driving these cars here in Europe: 1.37 € / Liter in Spain but lower salaries (and keep lowering due to the rampant crisis).

Welcome to the forum and please, upload some pics of your car. This is my resto thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...storation.html You may take a look when you have some time

By the way, You can rent your car for weddings or other events. That way you will drive your caddy on these occasions without any worry about mileage. Some weeks ago I did 225 kilometers during a wedding transportation. Gas paid and some profit to help maintenance
    77CDV, 77CDV, talismandave and 3 others like this.

Cady70 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 70 Deville, 90 Allante

Pull the motor out and put it into a Honda Civic. You might pick up a few MPGs.
    Maybe you could pull off the quadrajet and put a 2 barrel carb on.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by Cady70 View Post
    Pull the motor out and put it into a Honda Civic. You might pick up a few MPGs.
    Maybe you could pull off the quadrajet and put a 2 barrel carb on.
    You have to realize these are heavy cars and the engine produces the torque necessary to move it smoothly, with little effort. The Rochester Quardrajet front two venturi are most efficient and offer better fuel economy than most 2 bbl carbs on the market. In fact the two rear venturi are only in use on demand, when the air flow exceeds the capacity of the front venturi. They are subject to wear at the main throttle shaft bores.
    To check throttle shaft bore wear, remove the air filter and with the engine at idle, gently lift the main throttle shaft on the driver side of the carb at the lever for the throttle linkage. If worn excessively, the excess air drawn in arount the shaft and bore may cause the engine to lean out. If there is little free play here, your carb body/shaft is in good condition.
    The Ape Man and The Ape Man like this.

Alscad56 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1956 Sedan Deville,1994 Fleetwood

If you want to keep the original engine, in my opinion, the only way to significantly increase gas mileage is to get a transmission adapter for your engine, and bolt up a 700R4 automatic transmission behind it. That way, you'll at least get overdrive. That should bring up the mileage a few notches.
    My 1956 Cad has one and I get between 19-21 mpg/ highway driving...and this car weighs over 5000 pounds.

cadillac kevin is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
    Quote Originally Posted by Alscad56
    If you want to keep the original engine, in my opinion, the only way to significantly increase gas mileage is to get a transmission adapter for your engine, and bolt up a 700R4 automatic transmission behind it. That way, you'll at least get overdrive. That should bring up the mileage a few notches.
    My 1956 Cad has one and I get between 19-21 mpg/ highway driving...and this car weighs over 5000 pounds.
    Thats pretty good mileage for a large vehicle. Wonder what mileage a 500 would get with an overdrive trans.

Fleet is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '69 Fleetwood Brougham, '76 Fleetwood Limousine

Motor Trend's test car (a '69 Coupe de Ville) gave 9.2 to 11.8 mpg. The low figure was obviously recorded during acceleration tests and the high figure was probably mixed driving but not 100% highway driving.
    CADforce69 and CADforce69 like this.

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Alscad56 View Post
    This will not work without changing the rear gears. The gears are very high (low numerically), so OD will be useless. Cadillac was already doing everything they could to get mileage out of their cars by this point. The 56 Cad benefited because it has a gear set in the mid 3s, while the car in question will have a low 2 gear set.

In my opinion, just make sure everything is in top running order. It is good that you can have your exhaust gas emissions monitored, this will greatly help with tuning. Fresh plugs, properly gapped, wires, cap, rotor, set timing. If still running a cat (and in Europe, I suspect you are), you will see a benefit to going to a modern monolith cat instead of the old restrictive pellet type. A little more efficiency can be gained by a freer flowing exhaust. If you can't do full duals, you can do a very nice two into one into duals:

The best to hope for

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.