Cadillac Deville 74 472, increasing engine compression - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Cadillac Deville 74 472, increasing engine compression in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I totaly agree with Steelybill.. Not only are they not needed with this low revving motor , they have failed ...
    drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

Re: Cadillac Deville 74 472, increasing engine compression

I totaly agree with Steelybill.. Not only are they not needed with this low revving motor , they have failed after a short time... Don't get me wrong , they can put out a spark that can scare you and light off any fuel mixture but I would only use them in a race only car..

josehf34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sedan Deville 1974

so if the MSD ignition system is unnecessary on this low revving engine, what ignition system do you recommend?

Roadmaster75 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1978 Eldorado Biarritz

Not to be contentious,
    but, in this fellow's case it's Not about HP, or, high revs....
    It's about multiple spark discharge helping to compensate for
    lousy fuels (never intended for this Caddy to run on!) ....... just what this guy needs .... Yes they use versions of MSD's on race cars
    but, the 6A is a known solution & has never failed me on 5 cars now driven on the street all the time.
    Case in point ... a 35 Ford street rod that had cool looking dual quads on a 350 Chevy, but was WAY too much
    carburation. Before MSD ...... 10 miles to the gallon, pooch y acceleration, hard starting.

After ....16 miles to the gallon, and vast improvement in performance and hot weather starting.

Since he's in South America I'd opt for effective, low buck, basic solutions before
    removing engines/transmissions, etc.
    my 2 cents

josehf34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Sedan Deville 1974

Quote Originally Posted by Roadmaster75 View Post
    Not to be contentious,
    but, in this fellow's case it's Not about HP, or, high revs....
    It's about multiple spark discharge helping to compensate for
    lousy fuels (never intended for this Caddy to run on!) ....... just what this guy needs .... Yes they use versions of MSD's on race cars
    but, the 6A is a known solution & has never failed me on 5 cars now driven on the street all the time.
    Case in point ... a 35 Ford street rod that had cool looking dual quads on a 350 Chevy, but was WAY too much
    carburation. Before MSD ...... 10 miles to the gallon, pooch y acceleration, hard starting.

After ....16 miles to the gallon, and vast improvement in performance and hot weather starting.

Since he's in South America I'd opt for effective, low buck, basic solutions before
    removing engines/transmissions, etc.
    my 2 cents
    So you get 6 MPG Extra with a 350 using double 4 BBL carb? This looks awesome! but do you get this MPG driving on highway or city?

This 4L80E looks good for me http://www.ebay.com/itm/REBUILT-4L80...55dd8c&vxp=mtr what do the experts think?

A question for Roadmaster75: I see a Caddy Eldorado in your avatar so I think you already own one and I think this has the MSD ignition system. How much MPG do you get on highway and city?

steelybill is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '85 FWD fleetwood, '93 fleetwood Bro

The GM HEI distributor, the big one, is likely one of the best ever designed, and it's even copied in the after market for other car brands. Seems like a coil with a bit more spark would do the job fine, along with an advance kit for the distributor. Bumping the initial timing up a bit, with a stop plate to limit total timing, would likely be an upgrade you could feel....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.