Overheating
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Overheating in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I moved to North dakota about a month ago. I went to Wisconsin to get my 72 fleetwood hearse a ...
    72HearseGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 fleetwood hearse

Overheating

I moved to North dakota about a month ago. I went to Wisconsin to get my 72 fleetwood hearse a few weeks ago. After 30 miles on the highway I noticed it getting hot so i pulled off. I was short on time due to work so I had it towed back to a friends house (in wisconsin) and returned home without her. I have a few days coming up and I want to try again. I need some help diagnosing. The coolant resevoir was full past the max line so it had coolant. Aftr it cooled down I started it with the radiator cap off and the radiator was full with the coolant flowing. The coolant looked clean. I know for sure it needs a new radiator cap. Any ideas?

Also when I bought the car it overheated on my way home from Indiana to Wisconsin. I had a new radiator put in. I found out a little bit ago that the radiator that was installed (done in Indiana in a hurry) is too small for the car. I've never had any problems around town, but what kind of effect could this have on a long trip?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Overheating

This engine should not generate more heat on a trip versus around town driving, but it will generate more pressure in the system. If the radiator is handling the operating temperatures in long standing city traffic, it should be okay for highway driving. Get a new cap. The cap is the key to maintaining proper system pressure, unless there is another fault in the system.

Alos, when I pulled the car off the highway I was watching the overflow tank and every once in a while I would see a couple of bubbles surfacing. Could that be air getting into the system through the cap? I heard that was a symptom of a blown head gasket, but i dont have any coolant loss.

BRUCE ROE is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Eldorado

Overheating

A full sized 4 row radiator is a good idea, used in all my cars. Unfortunately some of
    the new imported radiators have been cheapened and can't do the job. After that
    happened to me, I finally resorted to a custom made super duty radiator, at a matching
    price, but it cured the cooling issues. Bruce Roe

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Quote Originally Posted by 72HearseGuy View Post
    Alos, when I pulled the car off the highway I was watching the overflow tank and every once in a while I would see a couple of bubbles surfacing. Could that be air getting into the system through the cap? I heard that was a symptom of a blown head gasket, but i dont have any coolant loss.
    What you described previously does not suggest head gasket failure, but for peace of mind, you could have a block check done at any reliable mechanic's shop. Do you get a strange scent in the passenger compartment? A sickly sweet scent will suggest failure of your heater core. This may not cause the system to appear low because it is positioned higher than most of your cooling system. Have your mechanic pressure test your system and he can also test your cap. These three tests will ensure that your cooling system is operating as it should.

It's not the heater core. I replace that last summer and there's no smell. If I go back I'll make an appointment to have it tested and take all the guess work out. Or maybe I'll just try to have it shipped here if I can find a decent price. Considering I have to put miles on my wifes car to get there plus gas for both cars and time. It'll probably cost about the same. I dont need the car out here now I just miss my POS

The Ape Man is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '80 Fleetwood Coupe, 1994 and 1995 Mercedes 140 Coupe

Was the thermostat replaced.

I replace them every time I do work on the cooling system. That decision is based on heartache from what happens when you don't change the thermostat.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.