Distributor Install and Timing Help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Distributor Install and Timing Help! in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I recently purchased a 1973 Eldorado Convertible, I replaced the timing chain with a new Cloyes Roller and I did ...
    c21no1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1973 Eldorado Convertible

Distributor Install and Timing Help!

I recently purchased a 1973 Eldorado Convertible, I replaced the timing chain with a new Cloyes Roller and I did the option of advancing the timing 4 degrees. Now I'm wondering whats the best way to install and set the distributor timing? I didn't see any marks on the balancer? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Re: Distributor Install and Timing Help!

Index the engine so that number 1 cylinder is at TDC on the compression stroke. Your timing mark on the balancer should be near the timing scale on the front cover. A lot of times the mark gets filled in with dirt. If it is not there, you may have set the timing set wrong. Number 1 cylinder on these engines is on the right bank (passenger side) of the engine. Guys who work on Chebbies get this wrong a lot.

I still have the hub and balancer off and there is no marks that I can see anywhere on them. I'll look again, I hope I'm wrong!

I found the mark, it was on the pulley! I'm having a hell of a time getting that hub back on, I could only find a Grade 5 9/16 fine thread bolt and the threads stripped a little on it, the hub is about 1/2 way on, maybe a little more. Any suggestions?

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

Clean the end of the crank snout with a strip of emory. Throw the hub in the oven and bake to 250 degrees. Use some welders gloves to handle it and it should go back on. Don't get it any hotter than that or You will mess the seal on the front plate.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

I would get some threaded rod 9/16 fine and cut a piece long enough to screw all the way in the crank.. Now press it on with a nut and a few big washers.. Get a washer that just fits the 9/16 rod and go up with a few washers so your big enough to press on the hub .. more washers make it stronger..Now with a good nut, 2H if you can get it , you should be able to press it on...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.