70 500cid on 87 octane?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, 70 500cid on 87 octane? in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; I may have found my 500. It's from a 70 ElDorado, thus it has 10:1 compression. Think I can run ...
    davesdeville is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII

70 500cid on 87 octane?

I may have found my 500. It's from a 70 ElDorado, thus it has 10:1 compression. Think I can run it on 87 octane gas? I'm confident I could run it on premium, but being a cheap bastard, I'd like to run it on 87.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Nope. It'll probably take, at least, 92 octane to run right.

Allante North * is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 1993 Triple Black Allante
    Spend a few pennies more and give that big ole 500 the juice she deserves.

elwesso is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45

Re: 70 500cid on 87 octane?

Yeah....... Most places its 10c more, 20c at worst..... So your looking at an extra 2-4 on a 20 gallon fill up...... Pretty insignificant for 500cid of pure muscle.....

Well it probably doesn't matter anyway, because it turns out that I can't get this engine.

MMNineInchNails is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    You could run the 500 on 87, but it wouldn't love you as much. I could run mine on 87 too, but I love her so much that I put in 91 Don't neglect your pimp mobile. At least give her premium (or the one in the middle) not the lowest grade.

DaveSmed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
    My 472 gets really cranky with the cheap stuff. It even dieseled once on me! So every time at the pump, 27 gallons of premium (@ $2-something....ouch!)

And your 472 should be 10.5:1 compression. Hmm I'm pretty sure I could get away with running mid grade on 10:1, partly because I'm at 5200' asl. If that doesn't cut it, I'll pay the extra..

Right now, my 425 is running like total crap. It will die if I floor it, and occasionally at idle. The damn high pressure power steering line is leaking from the pump connection again, too. So I'm pretty pissed at my car right now.. It had been sitting mostly for the past 3 years, so could old gas be the problem or at least part of the problem?

how's that carb doing of your fw?

If it's not old gas, it's either the fuel pump or the carb. I have to figure out if I want to just try a swap now or try to keep the 425 alive for a while longer.

Why didn't you take the old gas out of the tank before running it again? To test the fuel pump, take disconnect the fuel line that's going into the carb (the line that's coming out of the fuel filter. Have a friend try to crank it over and see how much gas is coming out. If it's barily any, you need a new fuel pump. It should be shooting out at a good speed.

I didn't take the old gas out because it drove fine when I test drove it, and when I drove it to my house. I'll take it out again later today and see how she does.

So far, I've put in no less than 12 hours of work on that motherf--cking power steering hose. It's just one hose. I took the old one off after an hour, then I put the new one on twice and it leaked still after another 8 hours, and then I tried with teflon plumbing tape which didn't help for another 3 hours. Then I took the new hose back and exchanged it for another one, put it on in 10 minutes, and spilled fluid all down the side of the pump. So now I'm waiting to see if it still leaks, if it does I'm through with it and I'll take it to a shop. I'll edit this in a while when I check to see if it really leaks..

The 425 seemed to run much better tonight. It still lags seriously when I floor it, but it didn't die. I'm going to try to put in a new speedometer cable tomorrow, and I'll try to test the fuel pump and check the filter.

Edit: It's still leaking, I think I'll try taking it off and putting it back on one more time, then I'll just take it to a shop.

lux hauler is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Buy a new fuel filter. I'm sure, if the car has been sitting, it's pulled stuff out of the tank and clogged the filter. Get some good gas in it too.

yeah dude those fuel filters are like $3 at autozone.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.