Ticking by valve cover
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
500, 472, 425, 368 Discussion, Ticking by valve cover in Cadillac Engine Technical Discussion; After I changed my oil I noticed a ticking coming from near the front of the passenger side valve cover. ...
    72HearseGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1972 fleetwood hearse

Ticking by valve cover

After I changed my oil I noticed a ticking coming from near the front of the passenger side valve cover. i dont know if it has anything to do with the oil change its just when I noticed it. How do I tell if it's coming from under the valve cover (lifters?) or if its maybe a leak in the exhaust manifold? The noise doesn't go away when the engine is revved. It seems to get faster. It's there whether the engine is cold or hot.

----------

It's not low on oil

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jayoldschool is offline GM RWD V8 addict
    Automobile(s): 81 FWB D'Elegance coupe

Re: Ticking by valve cover

With the engine cold, check the manifold bolts.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

There is a spring clip that keeps the rocker in place.. If the clip breaks it can make a clicking sound and the rocker can come off.. And if the rocker comes off you have a 50/50 chance the lifter can pop out of its bore... If the lifter pops out the motor will lose oil pressure...I would take off the cover and see where the noise is coming from...

Can I start the engine with the valve cover off or will squirt oil everywhere? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I'm new to a lot of this.

drmenard is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 95 fleetwood 81 deville

It will do more dripping than squirting..First thing is look at the clips without starting. each rocker has one clip to hold it in place..I would put rags around to catch most of the oil...But before you take off the cover do what Jay said and make sure its not a exhaust leak..I like to use a hose, put it to my ear and put the other end around where there could be a leak.

Thanks guys. I'll be able to do some poking around tomorrow. I'll update on what I find.

I got a stethoscope and poked around a bit. When I touched the prod to the bottom of the valve cover near the front I could hear the ticking. That leads me to think its coming from under the cover. Am I right in my thinking there? I took the cover off and checked the clips. They seemed ok; all rocker arms in place and tight. I ran the engine for a minute or two. Everything seemed to move freely. It seemed that some of the rocker arms got more oil than others. Could that lack of lube be causing the ticking noise. Possible course of action: replace pushrods cause theyre blocked?

Does it take a few minutes for the oil to come out of all the pushrods? And are the pushrods suppose to spin at all? Cuz mine didnt in the minute or two I ran it. The engine was hot when it ran.

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

The push rods should dance some. With the engine running, push down on the rocker on the push rod side, when you find the one that is bad, the clacking will stop. At the front of the engine, above the oil pump is a port. It has a pipe thread plug in it. Remove the plug and install a oil pressure gauge to find what the pressure is coming off the pump. If this pressure in lower than 28 lbs. at idle, there may be something restricting the oil pick-up screen or the tube or the pump may be bad.. There is another port at the back of the engine where the electronic pressure switch is located. If the pressure here is considerably less than the pressure at the port above the pump, then there is blockage in the oil galleys that feed oil to the lifters and the cam.

Thanks deVille33. I'll check it out on wednesday. Do I need the valve cover on when checking the pressure?

deVille33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)

No. I won't make any difference with cover on/off.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.